Chinese-Forums

SOAS Language Centre Assessments

aprose1977

Hello

Has anyone done the Lower-Intermediate course at SOAS language centre? I am going for an assessment for the lower intermediate-course tomorrow and am a bit worried as although I have done a couple of years of study (at an evening class and then the beginners elective course at SOAS while studying for an MA) my level has slipped a lot over the past year or so. Does anyone know the format that the assessment takes or what sort of topics or vocab is covered?

Any help would be gratefully received as I am desperate not to be confined to (yet another) beginners class.

Thanks

Adam

The assesment it pretty informal. They'll chat with you in chinese to gauge your level and then probably ask you to read from one of the textbooks. Lower intermediate use Chinese in steps 3. So it's worth having a look at Chinese in steps 2 and make sure you are familiar with all the material.

Also note it's not uncommon to switch up or down a class on the first week so if you feel it's too easy or difficult just talk with your teacher.

• 10 months later...

might have changed, when I studied there (2003) it was just an informal conversation - nothing to be nervous about. But I will never forget the two Taiwanese girls who had moved to England at 16 and tried to claim they had "forgotten" their Mandarin and wanted to get into the same class as me. There was no way I could have passed that class with two native speakers in it.

The teacher wouldnt let them in though thank God... ;)