Chinese-Forums

Need Immediate Clarification!

Maltezos

Hello everyone.. This is my first post in the chinese forums and I am in need of some huge clarification. I won an all inclusive paid for trip to Hangzhou, China, to compete in an international gaming tournament. The thing is, my parents are very hesitant in giving my passport number to the big Chinese gaming company because they believe that the passport number be only required to be shown at customs, which sounds logical.

The gaming company is purchasing the tickets for us from China, so I am under the impression that a passport number is required by Chinese law to be presented beforehand before buying the tickets.. Is this the case? I need 100 percent firm truthful and certain answers because my parents need to send me on this trip. They are getting thoughts of identity theft and whatnot.. I just want to know if its a law in China that you must present the passport number beforehand in order to purchase a ticket to Canada. Thank you all in advance and hope to hear from you very soon..

Peter

Congratulations!!! You are the 100,000th visitor to this website!!! Just click the red button to claim the fabulous prize which you have already won!!! A small processing fee is required, but we gladly accept Visa and MasterCard!!!

I hope you are very sure it's not a scam.

Has nothing to do with receiving your free ticket of course, but I'm wondering if you have you already obtained a China visa?

All that being said, it is necessary to supply a passport number in order to buy an international ticket in China.

No, it is not a scam. We worked hard to get this opportunity and we have been in touch directly with the director of the North American side of the game. The head office is 20 minutes away and my father and I will meet with him to understand the full structure and where we will be living and etc. This isn't a lottery win. We beat many handfuls of teams to represent North America at the international stage in the World E-Sports Masters, Which takes place every year in Hangzhou, China.

Thank you for all your answers

Yeah man, I know it's legit, and legit on how amazing it's going to be. My parents were just hesitant because in Canada if we wanted to purchase a ticket online for example we don't need to offer our passport number right away.. But I think it is different if the people in China are buying our tickets for us FROM China,, So China wants to verify with our passport numbers.. Anyways, I'm so happy to go, Cash prize is 15,000 USD (It is a new game called Crossfire so prize pool isn't THAT big).. I am just happy I get a free opportunity to see China for my own eyes, because I never would have given any thought in going to China,, and I know it is very beautiful in Hangzhou from what I've seen in videos.

Thanks for everyone's quick response and I'll be sure to update you guys on China trip with pictures and other content if you are interested :) It has always been my dream to be on the center stage in China.. The Center of E-Sports :)

Congratulations, have fun, and good luck!

Just to add to the many responses: the utterly legitimate company that bought my ticket also wanted my passport number. So I'd say if you know the organisation asking is legit, it's absolutely fine to give it.