Chinese-Forums

Now allowed to type on new HSK test

Andrew987

I did not state that the level increases or changes at all. In fact, I only state I see no reason why the level should change. It's a level test, not a placement test. The changes are made to measure more correctly (read remove a disturbing factor) that what is meant to be measured, chinese proficiency.

Heifeng however states "if it's easier for you, it's gonna be easier for EVERYONE." Nonsense as everyone has a different skillset and changes will effect different people in different ways. He, as I feel it, ridiculed the welcoming reaction by stating "But then again maybe this isn't a curved score (it's usually calculated by darts & magic 8-balls or something)". I never checked, but I would find it highly curious if HSK would have curved grading. As explained, I see it as a level test, not a placement test where only the best X(%) testtakers can pass.

This page (part 四) gives a brief explanation as to how the scores in the HSK are derived. It seems that one's final score does not depend on one's actual number of marks, but rather one's ranking with respect to all the other test takers. So unless I am mistaken, yes, it seems only a certain percentage of takers can pass. (Unfortunately the page doesn't say what this percentage is.)

If the above is correct, then allowing typing in the exam does not change the difficulty of the exam on average, but biases the exam away from those with good handwriting towards those with weak handwriting.

My Chinese is too poor to read it, but if this is true, then what's the value of HSK? It would certainly not be a certification of your level, only of your level compared to the other testtakers. Pretty useless if you only want to decide or the proficiency is sufficient to fulfill a certain task (study/job). AFAIK the main purpose of the test.

if it's easier for you, it's gonna be easier for EVERYONE.

sorry heifeng, that underlined "for you" kinda got my attention as if it were at me. Anyway, no big deal. Your polar bear icon is too interesting to get upset at. Also, I don't try to revive topics, but I do search through history to find information I may need. People's impressions at universities, reasons for success/fail on exams, places to go and places not to go, which sites are blocked and how to get around that, etc. The HSK site wasn't working for me (i can't register online for some reason, so i can't figure out how to register for the test), so i turned here for info.

Also, according to Anonymoose's research, the HSK is, in fact, dependent on others. So many still will get a low score and not pass. However, it is not too early for me to celebrate neither. I know I have stronger typing skills (70+ wpm in English) than handwriting, so I still have this edge to celebrate. I'm celebrating the fact that learning to type so quickly will pay off. Not that it will make me pass the exam, but it will help.

though i agree with silent- since it's based on the others score, the value of the HSK just hit the floor in my eyes. I was hoping on an unbiased grade of my skill. maybe i ought to take that Taiwanese TOP exam instead, rofl. i can vaguely recognize the correct traditional character. I learned all traditional my first year, then went back and had to relearn simplified and just stuck with it.

@anonymoose, silent, jkhsu, rezaf- thank you for the research and input!

@heifeng- in the USA, the SAT is a test students need to take in order to get into a real university. in the past, they included these synonym exercises that were a significant portion of your English grade. my older brother took this exam. by the time i took it, they replaced that section. he was a little upset (i think moreso jealous). so i understand how you feel in that sense. by the time my little sister took the exam, they once again altered the exam. 很麻烦!we can never tease each other about who got the best score because we all took different versions of the same stupid test. but nonetheless, i understand where you're coming from :) been there, done that kind of thing.

@anonymoose: I think that page may be the old HSK grading scheme.

Here is a quick description of the new HSK grading scheme.

My understanding is that there is no grading curve for the multiple choice question parts - your grade on those parts is proportional to your number of correct answers.

It only gives a basic overview of the writing and speaking parts grading scheme, so there may be a curve in those...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, I am interested in taking HSK by "TYPING" characters, however I have not been able to find any official statements where it says "You can type with computer".

Actually, I found a statement saying you cannot bring laptop or notebook to HSK examination "http://english.hanban.org/node_8007.htm : The test taker must not carry the following articles:

Recorder, camera, dictionary, MP3, mobile phone, Beep-pager, laptop, notebook, textbook or other articles irrelevant to the test"

[/left]

Where is it possible to take it by typing? which levels and is it a real HSK ?

[/left]

Most probably they will not allow you to use your own computer, you will have to use a computer provided by the test centre.

So at first only a few test centres will allow you to type instead of writing...

Just like only a few test centres are equipped for the spoken part of the HSK.

Info about test setup and pilot testing centers on the hanban chinesetesting.cn website

汉语水平考试(HSK)网考成功试点

新汉语水平考试HSK(网考)项目推广会

新汉语水平考试HSK(网考)项目推广会在上海举行

汉语水平考试(HSK)网考在韩国唐风成功举办

• Like 1

Thanks edelweis for spotting the April 2011 test of the "beta" new HSK 网考 in Korea.

While the new HSK 网考 still seems to be in testing, the Hanban Business Chinese Test (a sister qualification to the HSK) is already available using computer input in Singapore (only).

Extract from the PDF application form on http://www.scciob.ed...dex.cfm?GPID=24

备注:考试将以微软汉语拼音或一笔通输入法进行。 Note: Microsoft (Hanyu Pinyin) and/or Chinese Pen Plus software will be used in sections that require input of Chinese characters.

Hmm.. So, Hanban is developing systems for foreigners to be able to take tests by either typing or writing, so eventually it will be available in every country I assume?

So, at this moment, should I go to Korea to take my HSK by typing, or are there other places (In china or abroad) where you will be able to?

Btw, Awesome findings!

• 2 weeks later...

I was almost under the impression typing was already available in many testing centers, for example on the chinesetesting.cn website if you choose to register at many of the large centers, they specify the test in December, for example, is 网考:

孔子学院远程教育中心网考(北京)

http://www.chinesete...o.do?id=1131346

I emailed the Chengdu testing center last month to confirm, but they did not get back to me. I guess since no-one has replied here to say their have indeed already taken a computerized test in mainland China, that 网考 may refer to something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy to find this thread.

You see, many moons ago when I began studying Mandarin I made the very conscious decision to completely ignore learning how to hand-write Chinese characters. I had thought long and hard about the effort it would take to learn writing them vs. the practicality, and I came to the conclusion that the cost was too great. So I instead focused on speaking, listening, and character recognition (which is at the heart of reading and TYPING).

Fast forward a few years, and I can read the majority of things I come across, have written(typed) plenty of letters/docs in Chinese, enjoy chatting with friends online, and work in an environment where I communicate freely with colleagues (and a boss) with near-zero English ability.

But what may shock you is that despite all of this I can barely hand-write the 50 simplest Chinese characters. For me it's very much like asking me to draw a picture of a good friend, although I have a very clear image of them in my mind and can recognize them in an instant, the picture I would draw would most likely be horrendous.

For a long time, although I felt this decision was the correct one to make.. I worried that people would doubt my Chinese abilities if I didn't take and pass the HSK, but I would never be able to pass without getting the minimum score on the writing section which I was unlikely to manage.

I don't know about others but I think there is a problem when a prominent language proficiency test like the HSK has such a disconnect between the scores it gives and your ability to function successfully in that language in modern times.

I fully expected the test to become a computer based test eventually, but thought I would have to wait many more years for it to happen. Lo' and behold, a friend came up to me today to tell me he was just registering for the next HSK here in Beijing, and they gave him the option of taking the written test on the computer! I started looking for confirmation online, which is how i came across this thread.. needless to say I'm ecstatic to find out its available.

Last thing, as someone mentioned before, I think there should be a separate HSK to test writing ability. I may be wrong in my thinking, but to me it seems that knowing how to hand-write Chinese characters requires a totally different competency, which is too far removed from how the language is being used in a computer led world.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I was wondering what the latest was on this topic. I had originally planned to stop at the HSK 2 level because of the writing requirement for HSK 3, which I assumed meant handwriting. But if I can type characters on the test the same way as I type characters on my Mac (pinyin input brings up a menu of simplified Chinese characters that correspond to the pinyin), I'm good to go.

On the other hand, if the test requires using a pen and electronic writing tablet and uses hand-writing recognition that requires the correct stroke order, I'm completely sunk.

Anyone here know what the electronic test uses for character input?

Either way, I won't be taking the HSK 3 for quite a while, since I'm only scheduled for the HSK 1 in October. But it would be nice to know if I even have a shot at taking the upper-level HSK exams at some point in the future.

As far as I remember, they were using 搜狗输入法.

Not hand-writing recognition only, a pinyin-based input will still be available. Unless they are using a Mac at the test center, I recommend that you start trying out different IMEs in order to get used to using them.

There will be a menu and you are supposed to choose the right character, but some work more flawlessly than others, and you should be careful not to be confused by the way this menu looks like.

• Like 1

Awesomeness -- thanks Angelina! I'll take your advice on trying out different IMEs. No sense in fumbling around on an unfamiliar system on a timed exam, and as I'm someone who works in the software industry, I probably should familiarize myself with the different systems so I don't look like an idiot when I'm typing on someone else's computer.