Chinese-Forums

White American teaching Mandarin/Cantonese to HKers

Ian_Lee

• 2 years later...
I'm so jealous! I want to be able to speak Cantonese as well!

you can! ^^ just practice, practice, practice. you can do it!! ^^

Nevertheless, it still is pretty strange (and sad) that Westerners enjoy somewhat of a celebrity status just because they speak Chinese/Cantonese.

chinese are dealing with a pandemic right now: they are easily amused.

• 3 weeks later...

I still think the professor is more impressive. He started learning Chinese late ( IIRC, in his twenties? ) wheareas Sharon and many ppl like her started speaking Cantonese almost from birth. I have worked with Indians in HK who speak Cantonese perfectly, but they always turn out to be native HKers.

I would love to find out if there is someone out there who started on Cantonese late in life, but who managed reach fluency at something like Sharon's level (e.g. a Cantonese Dashan) I have always wondered if it was even possible. It's like when you hear someone learn to speak Cantonese, it always sounds so much worse than a Mandarin learner, makes me wonder if perfect Cantonese can only be taught to the very young...