Chinese-Forums

Hiding Text in a Post

TCcookie

In a recent thread, I have been posting lengthy glosses and translations of an entire song, and looking back at the thread its seems to be not the most considerate thing to do for forums readers. Is there a way to include large blocks of text in a post without forcing every reader casually browsing the thread to see the whole thing? Or should I just chop my posts down to the minimum necessary and link to the extra stuff on an external site?

Haven't noticed the actual topic, but a couple of options are . . .

Using the code tags [ code] text [ /code] (without the space) which gives you this:

text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text

That's designed for programming code, but same principle.

Or you could save it as a text file and attach it to a post. However if it's a topic like 'My translation and glossary of a 小虎队 song' then I wouldn't worry too much - people know what they're getting when they click.

Linking to it off-site is another option.

The spoiler tag -- itself rather hidden under the "other styles" menu -- also lets you do this.

All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler. All this text is completely hidden unless you open the spoiler.

Wow, those are both great options, exactly what I needed. Thanks!

The post is on 何韵诗's 《无名》 and includes multiple versions of a transliteration/gloss/translation of the whole song. I will probably not get around to fixing it until tomorrow. I just happened to notice these responses before bed.

To be honest I'm not sure you need to - the first post makes it clear what's happening, it's not as if you've pasted in a chunk of text somewhere only tangentially relevant. Although if you want to, go for it.

Actually what might make sense there is a word or excel document with columns.