Chinese-Forums

iPhone or Android phone for Pleco & Chinese learning

fritz

For a free Chinese handwriting IME I would reiterate the gPen recommendation.

BTW, if you want to see/download paid apps from within China then just use a foreign (e.g. US, UK, German etc) sim card. It doesn't need to be active (connect via WiFi) and you won't need to use it after the purchase has completed.

There are other ways too, but those involve rooting your device.

Note: AFAIK, offline dictionary apps generally use very little power (compared to online apps). For me personally, it wouldn't warrant carrying a second device. However, if you are literally spending hours on it a day, then your mileage may vary.

Some dictionary features can require a lot more power (OCR, e.g.), and it's also a two-way street - having a dictionary on the iPod also means that you have access to it even if you mobile battery has been drained by other usage. We've also had quite a few people report that they prefer having a dictionary on a separate screen so that they can talk on the phone while looking up words - admittedly, that could theoretically be done on one device with a Bluetooth headset (or speakerphone if you're in a private place), but some people prefer a two-screen solution.

Though FWIW, the current beta-test version of Pleco on Android uses an activation system for paid add-ons that's independent of Android Market, and we plan to leave that as an option for the finished version as well. We're also making good progress on coming up with a solution for iOS-to-Android license transfers. But it'll be a bit longer before the finished version of that is ready...

For a free Chinese handwriting IME I would reiterate the gPen recommendation.

The app immediately crashes when I try to open it after download. I tried the other, but I think it's only for traditional characters so I'm having a hard time with the interface.

I think the biggest problem is my phone is still on version 1.5. I don't mean to go off topic, but anyone have an easy way to update androids within China? Should I download it from my computer or just take it to a cell phone store?

edit: After going though some sites I'm a little intimidated by the update process:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-07/30/froyo-yo-hero

Having to back up the phone and SD card scares me, so I'll try to take it to Zhongguancun some time this week.

They have fake apple stores to sell the fake phones now.

Interesting article. Appreciate the heads up. I had been puzzled by the sudden appearance of more than a few "Apple Stores" in recent months. Some are small and in unlikely places. A year ago there were none, and now they have suddenly sprung up like mushrooms after the first spring rain.

I went into one last week, but honestly I don't know enough to tell fake Apple products from real ones.

http://birdabroad.wordpress.com/

(strange, thought I already replied to this...)

@Brian US: Out of interest, did you try swapping the sim card, like previously mentioned?

Another handwriting app you could try is Hanwang which can be found on the Android Market. This is only a limited-time trial version, but it seems you can buy the full version from Hanwang directly (i.e. it doesn't matter if you cannot see paid apps on the Android Market).

Just want to chime in here for a sec @BrianUS. I have an older iPhone model and from what I understand you want to do (draw out chinese characters) you can do that easily with stock iPhone software. If you go into Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> International Keyboards -> Add New Keyboard and choose Chinese - Simplified( or Traditional) Handwriting. There's also Stroke, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie.

Hope that solves one of your problems.

Edit: Umm, apparently I only read the first page before posting this, so if you've already solved this then... oops ;p

Sorry for the lat response.

Out of interest, did you try swapping the sim card, like previously mentioned?

Are you referring to getting an international sim card? I'm on a monthly data plan, so I figured if I change my sim card then it will also change my number.

I just download the Hanwang application, but I'm not sure how to actually use it. The website doesn't give any instructions. When I start to write a text message I'm only given the option of English or pinyin input.

@deathtrap

But I use an android phone. It's easy on my ipod.

@Brian US I mean, you need to put a US sim card in your phone, then go to the Market app and you can buy whatever apps you want. Once the app(s) are downloaded (over WiFi) you can put your Chinese sim card back in and continue to use those paid applications. In other words, your US sim card will only be in your phone for a few minutes. If you don't have a US sim card, then there is no easy way unfortunately.