Chinese-Forums

Problems in learning Chinese grammar

anhhieu22av2

• New Members

Please help me to answer these questions. Thanks so much.

a27. What are the differences between亲身and亲自? Thanks.

a28. What are the differences between既然and因为?

。。。你有事,那你就先走吧。

他。。。有事,所以先走了。(既然/因为)Which is correct? Why? Thanks!

a29. What are the differences between认为and以为? Thanks.

a30.昨天下午看的那个电影真好,今天下午我。。。去看,你去不去?

a.再 b.也 c.又 d.还

Which is correct? Why? Could you tell me how to distinguish the usage of these words? Thanks!

a31. 他气得话没说完就昏死了。。。

a. 过去 b. 过来 c.起来 d.下去

Which is correct? Why? Thanks!

a32. 曾经到过中国的人 and 已经到了中国的人

Which is correct? Why? What are the differences between them? Thanks.

a33. Can you show me how to distinguish 去国,来过,and 到过? Thanks.

• New Members

Nice Questions!

Please help me to answer these questions. Thanks so much.

a27. What are the differences between亲身and亲自? Thanks.

亲身 emphasize "身", which means body. It indicates something happened on you, rather than you heard from others. Phrases we often use are "亲身经历" “亲身体验”

亲自 emphasize “自”, which means yourself. It indicates you do something(usually it's your own business) on your own rather than by other people. Phrases we often use are "我亲自来做" “亲自去……”

a28. What are the differences between既然and因为?

既然 means "since, this been the case". It shows a concessive tone.

因为 just indicates the reason.

。。。你有事,那你就先走吧。 (既然 I don't want you to go, but you are busy, so I let you go.It indicate "I" made concession)

他。。。有事,所以先走了。(因为 it is just a narration with out emotion.)(既然/因为)Which is correct? Why? Thanks!

a29. What are the differences between认为and以为? Thanks.

The difference between "认为" and “以为” is more like the difference between "think" and "thought".

For example:

我认为汉语很难。 I think Chinese is difficult.

我以为汉语很难。 I thought Chinese was difficult.

a30.昨天下午看的那个电影真好,今天下午我。。。去看,你去不去?

a.再 b.也 c.又 d.还

Which is correct? Why? Could you tell me how to distinguish the usage of these words? Thanks!

再,again. used for present. 再读一遍 read again

也, also.(used in past, present and future tense) 我读了一遍,他也读了一遍。I read once. He also read once.

又, used for past tense. 他又读了一遍。(Often there is a "了" after 又 phrase since 又 is used in past tense.)

还,used for not happened activities. 他还要读一遍. He will (would) read again. 我还想吃一碗米饭。(I want to have one more bow of rice.)

a31. 他气得话没说完就昏死了。。

a. 过去 b. 过来 c.起来 d.下去

Which is correct? Why? Thanks!

过去。 This question is rather difficult and complex.

过去 often indicates something from being to not being. so 他昏死过去。(He died---being alive to not been alive)

过来 often indicates something from not being to being. so we often say 他活过来了。

起来 ofen indicates something from static to dynamic. 他讲了一个笑话,她就笑起来了。(She smiled when he told her a joke.)

下去 indicates something from dynamice to static. 老师走进教室。学生都安静下来了。(The teacher walked into the classroom and all the students became quiet.)

a32. 曾经到过中国的人 and 已经到了中国的人

Which is correct? Why? What are the differences between them? Thanks.

Both are right.

过 Indicates an experience. 到过 can be translated as "have been to". 曾经到过中国的人is "the people who have been to China"

了 indicates the complete of an action. 到了 can be translated as "have been in". 已经到了中国的人 "the people who have already been in China"

a33. Can you show me how to distinguish 去国,来过,and 到过? Thanks.

去过 have gone to

来过 have come to

到过 have been to

Fhew...It is really a huge work to explain so many grammars. Most of them are rather advanced ones. Hope it can do some help.

• Like 1

Those are good answers. I'd add the following:

因为/所以 often form a pair, that is the give-away in this case. Also, 因为 indicates a more direct causal relationship. 既然 is often used to justify one's actions.

As for 认为 and 以为, 认为 simply expresses an opinion, while 以为 strongly suggests that the opinion is wrong. 以为 is typically used when you thought something which turned out to be wrong. That's why cabbage offered the translation "thought".

曾经到过 refers to something further back in the past than 已经到了, which refers to the situation at the current time. 曾经 means "previously", and 过 typically refers to completed processes sometime in the past. 已经 means already.

The 昏死 fooled me, I have to admit. It is good to know that 昏过去 is a common phrase (just heard it in some anime).

• New Members

35.What are differences between 108.6万多元and 108.6万元多? Thanks.

36. 看上去她很年轻,也就。。。(a. 30左右岁 b.30内外 c.30上下 d.30前后) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks.

37. 那家饭馆楼上是四川风味,楼下是山东风味,我看咱们还是去。。。吧!(a.楼下 b.下楼 c.之下 d.以下) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

38. 当演到“友谊舞”时,全场观众随着音乐的节奏。。。鼓起掌来。(a.一块儿 b.一同 c.一起 d.一齐) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

39. 观众同志们,场。。。请勿吸烟。(a.中 b.内 c.里 d.中间) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

40. 我妈妈在市场买了。。。羊肉。(a.几公斤 b.九,十公斤 c.十工近来 d.八多公斤) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

41. 中国人第一个。。。了以茶为饮料。(a.发现 b.发觉 c.发明 d.发生) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

42. 每年四月份的。。。星期天是民间艺术节。(a.第二个 b.第二 c.二 d.两) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

43.这个体育馆能坐。。。人。(a.十个千 b.一百百 c.一万 d.十千) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

44. 。。。的那幅油画是阿明画的。(a.之中 b.中面 c.中间 d.中) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

45. 昨天晚上北京歌舞团的节目。。。(a.十分十分精彩 b.非常非常精彩 c.精精彩彩 d.精彩精彩) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

46. 刚才。。。的问题,虽然我们只用了三四分钟,但是的确很重要。(a.谈一谈 b.谈谈 c.谈一下 d.谈) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

47. 明天的计划是游览。。。北海再去参观亚运村。(a.过 b.将要 c.了 d.已经) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

48. 今天都25号了,。。。就进6月份了。(a.立刻 b.马上 c.将要 d.快要) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

49. 昨天又来了一些新同学,这已经是第四。。。了。(a.群 b.伙 c.批 d.堆) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

50. 一进教室,就给人一个全班都努力学习的。。。(a.气氛 b.印象 c.样子 d.认识) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

51.a.行动很方便而还可以锻炼身体。

b.行动很方便而还能锻炼身体。

What are differences between them? Thanks!

52.由于有的人骑自行车不遵守交通规则或者有的行人过马路不走上人行横道,有的道路还窄有时会发生交通事故。What are the usage of “有的”in this sentence? Thanks.

53.a.他感动得流下泪来。

b.他感动得流下眼泪来。

c.他感动得流出泪来。

d.他感动得流出眼泪来。

Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

54.a.他讲的那个笑话使大家听得大笑起来。

b.他讲的那个笑话使大家听得大声笑起来。

That's a lot of questions. Are these for an exam or something? Don't say that it's your homework.

35. X 万多元 = X + a few 万 more, X 万元多 = X 万 + a few 元 more

36. 30左右岁. 左右 is used to indicate a rough estimate. Although English uses "more or less", the other choices are wrong, and are probably meant to fool people who translate literally from their mother tongue.

37. I think it should be 楼下, which is the standard translation for "downstairs". If you use 下楼, then 下 is a verb, and it means that you are already upstairs and will go down, while the sentence implies that they are outside of the restaurant. The other two choices don't fit.

38. Should be 一起. b and d are wrong, while 一块儿 emphasizes that they are physically located together. For doing things together, 一起 should be used.

39. is tricky, as 场 has different meanings, and thus takes different prepositions. It can mean the scene, the stage, or the venue. 内 or 中, I'm not sure.

40. Should be b, I think. a is a question, c is just wrong, and you can't use 多 with numbers as small and exact as 8

41. I'm not sure. 发觉 refers to realising something. 发明 is to invent. 发生 means "to happen", and doesn't fit here at all. 发现 is use when you discover something new. 发现 is my guess.

42. a. 星期天 needs an ordinal number and a measure word.

39. is tricky' date=' as 场 has different meanings, and thus takes different prepositions. It can mean the scene, the stage, or the venue. 内 or 中, I'm not sure.[/quote']

I lean toward 场内 because of the existence of 场外. Also because of the indoor implications of 吸烟 and the existence of 室内. But I don't know.

41. I'm not sure. 发觉 refers to realising something. 发明 is to invent. 发生 means "to happen", and doesn't fit here at all. 发现 is use when you discover something new. 发现 is my guess.

发明, in all likelihood. I don't think you can 发现 the act of drinking tea (you 发现 a phenomenon or fact that already exists), but I think you can 发明 the practice of drinking tea.

内 is my hunch as well, because of the indoor connotations of smoking.

As with the discovery of drinking tea, I lack the intuitive feeling for the four verbs (the sentence is probably trivial for a native speaker). It seems to me that pouring hot water over something is not really an "invention", but discovery, but you're probably right.

43. 一万. 万 is the correct word for 10,000. 百百 is wrong, and 十千 would typically not be used because the Chinese group by 10,000 instead of 1000. a is wrong because numbers don't take measure words.

44. 中间. The sentence refers to the painting in the middle, and 中间 is the correct word. 中面 doesn't work here, because 面 implies a surface and is typically used with 上 and 下, but not 中. 中 can't be used alone here, and 之 refers to the word before it, so it can't start the sentence.

45. is a very good question. I'd go with b.非常非常精彩 without knowing how to justify it. 十分 implies completeness and sounds odd when used with 精彩. c and d do not have a degree adverb linking them to the noun. d additionally uses wrong duplication: ABAB is used with verbs, AABB with adjectives, so 马虎 -> 马马虎虎, for example.

I could be wrong on the last one.

45. is a very good question. I'd go with b.非常非常精彩 without knowing how to justify it. 十分 implies completeness and sounds odd when used with 精彩. c and d do not have a degree adverb linking them to the noun. d additionally uses wrong duplication: ABAB is used with verbs, AABB with adjectives, so 马虎 -> 马马虎虎, for example.

十分精彩 is fine, but reduplicating 十分 is weird. Redup'ing 非常 is fine, so that should be it.

As with the discovery of drinking tea, I lack the intuitive feeling for the four verbs (the sentence is probably trivial for a native speaker). It seems to me that pouring hot water over something is not really an "invention", but discovery, but you're probably right.

Yep, I googled 发明饮茶 and it's pretty much the right answer. I guess it's the 方式 of 饮茶 that was 发明ed.

46. 刚才。。。的问题,虽然我们只用了三四分钟,但是的确很重要。(a.谈一谈 b.谈谈 c.谈一下 d.谈)

47. 明天的计划是游览。。。北海再去参观亚运村。(a.过 b.将要 c.了 d.已经) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

48. 今天都25号了,。。。就进6月份了。(a.立刻 b.马上 c.将要 d.快要) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

49. 昨天又来了一些新同学,这已经是第四。。。了。(a.群 b.伙 c.批 d.堆) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

50. 一进教室,就给人一个全班都努力学习的。。。(a.气氛 b.印象 c.样子 d.认识) Which is correct? What are differences between them? Thanks!

51.a.行动很方便而还可以锻炼身体。

b.行动很方便而还能锻炼身体。

What are differences between them? Thanks!

52.由于有的人骑自行车不遵守交通规则或者有的行人过马路不走上人行横道,有的道路还窄有时会发生交通事故。What are the usage of “有的”in this sentence? Thanks.

53.a.他感动得流下泪来。

b.他感动得流下眼泪来。

c.他感动得流出泪来。

d.他感动得流出眼泪来。

54.a.他讲的那个笑话使大家听得大笑起来。

b.他讲的那个笑话使大家听得大声笑起来。

46. I'm quite unsure about this, but d.谈 seems the best, followed by b.谈谈. Really not sure.

47. c.了, because it coordinates with 再. The others don't fit grammatically.

48. b.马上, because the last 2 don't fit before 就, and 立刻 usually refers to a person's (immediate) action. 马上 can mean the imminent coming of a point in time/new period of time.

49. c.批, which means "batch" or "cohort" and is used with students.

50. b.印象, because you can't 给人 a 气氛, but you can 给人 an 印象.

51. b.行动很方便而还能锻炼身体。, I guess? 可以 sounds a bit informal, but it doesn't really strike me as wrong. Unsure.

52. All the 有的s mean "some". Specifically, "some cyclists", "some pedestrians" and "some roads".

53. a.他感动得流下泪来, because it's more rhythmic (4 syllables vs 5 syllables for 流下眼泪来). 流出泪 sounds like you're squeezing them out, lol.

54. a.他讲的那个笑话使大家听得大笑起来。, because 大笑 is a fixed word and gives a fitting rhythm (大笑起来 = 4 syllables). The 声 in 大声笑 is unnecessary, so answer 'a' is preferred.

I'm least sure about 46 and 51. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

46. I'd go with 谈谈, since the rest of the sentence explains that it was a very short conversation. 谈一下 and 谈一谈 don't fit. 谈 is not wrong either. Google (I know) returns roughly the same number of hits for "谈问题 " and "谈谈问题 ", so I think that it's the shortness that makes a difference here.

51. I'd go with 可以 . It indicates that something may happen.

I found the following sentence on nciku, so I guess that's right:

在大江大海中游泳,既可以锻炼身体,又可以锻炼意志

I'm not sure about that. Nciku lists 并且 as the first meaning of 而 , and 但是 as the second. My "New Century" lists "and" as the first meaning, "but" as second.

而 alone like this would only appear in written Chinese, though.