Chinese-Forums

Chinese and word puzzles?

bopomofo2

Someone asked this on Reddit the other day, but apparently there are no informative responses posted. I wonder what kind of word puzzles do the Chinese play? Obviously English-style crossword puzzles are out, due to most words are composed of mostly one/two letters. So what kind of puzzle books are sold in the convenient stores, if any?

Thanks, I've heard about 字谜. And I believe one of the advantage of this kind of word games is that it's playable orally (e.g. over the radio station).

Aside from this, do Chinese play other forms of word games (especially those that can be written/sold in puzzle books, like in the States)?

What kind of puzzles are you looking for? For fun? For learning Chinese characters? For learning Chengyu? There are many Chinese puzzles, some even with very hard 格,like 卷帘格,徐妃格 and many many others.

I am not sure which books in the store now. When I was young, we did have several puzzle or riddle books at home for Children having fun. But, if you are in China, go to a big book store and ask for puzzle kind of boosk, they should give you some recommendations.

奏->春

the above is a puzzle, the result should be a Chinese Chengyu. Having fun~~ :)

People play sudokus in the metro, but that's not really a word game. There is one magazine with a crossword every issue, so it does exist, although I don't know how it would work.

• 1 month later...

These are my answers so far.

1 异曲同工

5 口是心非

7 无与伦比

9 里应外合

10 三姑六婆

11 五音不全

12 非同小可

13 一塌糊涂

14 多此一举

16 天方夜谭