Chinese-Forums

Displaying Chinese in Windows 7

Rysiek

Please forgive me if this has been answered before; I haven't been able to find anything useful neither on the forums nor on the WWW at large.

This past weekend I bought a cheap Windows 7 desktop computer to supplement my tiny netbook running Mac OS X. I have not used Windows since shortly after Windows XP came out, but can see that for the most part things have remained rather similar.

That said, I have ran into a huge problem with displaying Chinese properly. The characters do display and I have no problems with that; the problem is that smaller font sizes are simply unreadable! I know Mac OS X is known for pretty fonts, but there can't be /that/ much of a difference, can there be? Chinese characters displayed more clearly in Linux than in Windows 7!

I have attached a sample screenshot in case what I'm saying isn't quite clear. I cannot believe that the vast majority of people that are using Windows are tortured in this way. Therefore, could anyone help me set this thing up properly so that Chinese text is readable?

Thanks!

post-27796-018579200 1287411068_thumb.png

You could try going to:

Control Panel > Appearance > Display

and then setting the default system text size to be 25% larger.

(Sorry, I don't have a chinese version of the OS...)

You might also find the website www.pinyinjoe.com helpful, as it seems to address many of these issues.

Thanks for all of your replies. I have made the text larger and turned off ClearType, so will see if that helps.

It still boggles me that it's actually how it's supposed to be on Windows, but then again I haven't been a fan of the OS for quite a while now :)