Chinese-Forums

"八仙上寿组字诗"

Player01

About a decade ago when my parents went to China they bough this painting with the name "八仙上寿组字诗". The person who wrote it was very old and we don't think he is still alive. But the real question is how much is this painting cost if it's real? The old man wrote it in front of us parents with ink. My dad wants to sell it since we are having economic trouble but my mom insists to keep it... So the first thing I need to know is whether this painting/poem is real or not. I saw a few pictures similar to this but one weird thing I found about my painting is that the character 组 looks more like 沮 on paper. Is it because he wrote is too fast? An error? or was it intentional. I'll upload the picture soon.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to say without seeing the picture.

Off-hand, I would guess it's not worth much. What are the odds that you managed to get an amazing deal on a valuable piece of art?

But if you really want to know, I would think you'd need to take it to a professional appraiser that specializes in Chinese art.

What is important is whether it is worth anything. For this kind of things (calligraphy/paintings sold to tourists) I think unless the writer/painter was a famous artist it would not be worth much. But if it was bought at an auction of say Sotheby's than of course it is different.