Chinese-Forums

Grand Comic Reading Project #4: Ranma 1/2

feihong

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the month, I ended up in the middle of Volume 21. More than halfway done with this massive series. It's pretty much as renzhe said, this is excellent bedtime reading. It's not terribly hard, but still makes for decent reading practice. In particular, it's good material for advanced learners who know simplified characters well but are still shaky on traditional characters. The text is easy enough that I can often figure out what the character is without having to look it up.

Although I'm not reading at such an intense pace anymore, I intend to keep reading Ranma. Maybe one day I'll even finish it.

P.S. I think the Hawaiian principal character is awful. All the storylines that feature him fall flat. I don't mind the sports-themed story arcs too much, though.

Hehe, I'm close to finishing the whole series again (I did start before it was covered in this project, though). A little bit each night, and you're over before you know it!

I don't know what I'll do for nighttime reading when I'm done. 福星小子 maybe.

I finally finished up volume 1 yesterday. Great comic. Very funny. Thanks for the recommendation. I might try to pick up the entire series to have some light reading to carry around. Question, though - what's the level of bathroom scenes through the rest of the series? (Volume 1 felt a tiny bit risque in parts for my train ride.)

• 5 weeks later...

Well now I have a good reason to learn traditional characters... I've planned on learning them eventually, but I still feel like there are a lot of important characters that I don't know but want to learn before learning traditional

It looks like the switch happens at volume 16.. that really doesn't give me much time -_-

• 2 months later...