Chinese-Forums

The next interview: Mike 'Pleco' Love

roddy

By the way, here is an interesting issue related to audio flashcards in the car. Suppose one cannot label each flashcard in the session as "correct" or "wrong" due to driving. However, after some part of the session, one can give aggregated feedback, e.g. "about 40% flashcards correct". How should this aggregated feedback translate into score updates for individual flashcards? If instead of labeling the cards "correct" and "wrong" one just used the "pause/resume" button (the way I studied Pimsleur), again, can the system take my time delays into account? The system has to keep in mind that the time delay is a combination of two independent factors: attention span due to driving and the difficulty of recalling the flashcard.

Meanwhile, I don't see voice commands as practical for audio flashcards, because (a) they break the flow, and (b ) one who does audio flashcards in the car usually shouts words pretty loudly, and that would confuse any voice recognizer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have one more question. I remember reading on the Pleco forums that you have licensed a Classical Chinese dictionary, and was wondering how you plan on offering it? Will it be part of the Complete bundle, and hence available as an upgrade to people who've already purchased it, or will it be available as a separate add-on?

Separate add-on; not having to give a free copy of everything we license to thousands and thousands of customers makes it a lot easier / cheaper for us to license new things, and our experience with the recent OCR rollout (which generated a grand total of maybe 2 or 3 complaints total from Complete bundle buyers) suggests most people understand and are OK with the fact that the Complete bundle isn't a lifetime subscription.

Though with all of the specialized dictionaries we're in the process of licensing, it's uncertain whether we'll even still be selling a Complete bundle after the next round of dictionary releases...

Dear Mike Love,

Will that be a classical/literary Chinese-English dictionary or a classical/literary Chinese-modern Chinese dictionary?

Could you give us the title?

Also, what was up with your rant against Mick Jagger, Diana Ross, and the Beatles when you accepted the 1987 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction for the Beach Boys?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :)

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.