Chinese-Forums

Some random questions I'm having trouble getting answered

Holly

In Beijing, taxi drivers also are pretty bad with actual street addresses. It helps if you know a nearby landmark - if not, go with the phone number.

I'm not a great shopper so don't take my word for granted, but I don't think there's too much difference between the several bargaining-kind shopping malls in Xidan.

In Shanghai, taxi drivers are much better about finding cross streets than numbered addresses. That's why a lot of addresses are given as 某某路X号(近某某路).

Last time I was in Shanghai my friend and I got into a taxi right outside Ikea in Xujiahui and we told the driver to go to Hengshan Lu and he insisted that he did not know where Hengshan Lu was. My friend who had been in Shanghai for quite some time threatened in a very stern tone to complain the driver but still he did not know how to go to Hengshan Lu. :D We ended up taking the subway.

I'm a little confused as to how they can't find a place when they have an address... :unsure: I know it can sometimes be tricky, buuut...

I haven't been to any of the bargaining malls in Xidan, actually. Was curious to know if they sell anything decent, or if it's just junk.

I'm a little confused as to how they can't find a place when they have an address... :unsure: I know it can sometimes be tricky, buuut...

You must be from the USA or somewhere else that has logically arranged addresses!

It's quite a shock to me how poorly organized street addresses are in many foreign cities. Often times I see cities in which addresses on opposite sides of the street have no relation to each other, there is no reasonble "100 numbers per block" (or so) arrangement, numbers seem to skip around randomly, and the address on one block has nothing to do with the addresses on parallel blocks. It's quite frustrating, honestly.

I'm going to find that store tomorrow if it kills me AND my taxi driver. Wish me luck. I have the address from their website, and will be bringing their phone number as well.

Does anyone know how much it costs to ship a decent sized package (longer than 12") from China to the US? I'm having a hard time finding estimates online.

Probably gonna try to send a package out this week from the post office on campus.

Also need to buy a third suitcase. Carrefoure (totally spelled that wrong) seemed to have good prices. But does anyone know if the dimensions listed on the suitcases (length x width x height) are in Chinese inches or American inches? The airline says for a third check in bag that costs $150, it can't exceed 62 inches (length x width x height).

Please tell me that the airports have English speaking workers (at least some) and things to help you carry your luggage. I'm going to have 3 big check in bags.

Please tell me that the airports have English speaking workers (at least some) and things to help you carry your luggage. I'm going to have 3 big check in bags.

I don't know, but I would think some things are universal and don't require speaking.

The real thing handily transforms into a postcard.

But it still weighs 13,500 斤; I don't think they'll accept it.

But does anyone know if the dimensions listed on the suitcases (length x width x height) are in Chinese inches or American inches? The airline says for a third check in bag that costs $150, it can't exceed 62 inches (length x width x height).

I understand your concern about the dimensions, but I've checked into several dozen Chinese airlines in several dozen Chinese cities and never yet had a suitcase measured or seen the counter personnel measuring anyone else's suitcase. Their concern seems to be more about the weight unless it's something truly huge like a steamer trunk.

Most airports, including Capitol Airport in Beijing, which I think is where you are, have porters to help with luggage. Self-push luggage carts are also usually available. The porter is worth an extra few kuai, especially if you are wrestling 3 large bags plus carry-on, because he will help you find the right counter and the right check in line.

If you arrive in time, consider spending some small change to get the large bags bound with sealing strips so they won't pop open with rough handling in transit. They are applied by a machine similar to the one the post office uses for binding parcels. Usually costs 10 kuai per bag. Ask the porter about it and he will take you to get it done.

You will definitely be able to find an airline employee at the check in counter who can speak enough English to get you ticketed home, even though he or she may not be fluent.

过道旁边 = guòdào pángbiān = aisle seat ("near the aisle")

窗户旁边 = chuānghu pángbiān = window seat ("near the window")

Relax and take heart. Your China ordeal is almost over.

Well, I'll definitely make sure not to get anything over 62", but that's good to know.

Those porters sound good. Do they speak English? Haha....just kidding. I'm sure if they don't, I can use my limited language skills and sign language. But geeze, what I wouldn't give to meet one of those so-called English bandits right now. I haven't met a single Chinese person yet who can speak decent English besides my teachers and a woman at an ice-cream store in a mall. And the sellers at the Silk Market, of course.

I must say, I do find it interesting that most Chinese people I've interacted with expect me to be fluent in Chinese. I've had some people get very frustrated (and one woman downright mad) when I didn't understand everything they said. Embarassing... Gives me a new perspective on how Americans expect everyone to speak English. I was never one of those people, but now I have a better understanding of how unrealistic this expectation may be, although many countries do require students to study English...

The reason I asked was because my friend went back home for a few days, and he said he had a lot of difficulty at the airport, as no one he spoke to was very fluent in English and couldn't really answer his questions.

I wish I could say "ordeal" is the wrong word to describe my experience!!! Ugh.

So...how's the air pollution in Japan? Korea? :rolleyes: And here I thought I might live in China for a few years, teach English, get some experience. My body isn't about to have ANY of that.

Okay. Another question. I'm supposed to fly out the 16th at 7:55 am, and I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to get to the airport. I need to be there by 5 at the very, very latest. My study abroad program isn't providing a bus, the shuttles near me don't start until around 7 in the morning, and I've heard mixed things about whether I'll be able to get a taxi or not very late at night (2-4 in the morning?). Plus, I'll have 3 large suitcases with me and my carry on laptop bag. So I'm a little worried this will all FIT in a tiny taxi!

I'm kind of at a loss. One of the workers in the program office suggested I go down to the airport a day early, but I don't really want to sit at the airport for 10+ hours, especially as I don't know if I'll be able to check my luggage earlier. If not, I'd be stuck there by myself, unable to leave my luggage and go to the bathroom, etc. Not fun. I suppose if I have to, I will, but that's a situation I'd love to avoid.

I'm leaving tomorrow for our two week study trip, so I may not see any responses until I get back on Dec. 14! Ugh... So little time.

Even if you can't check in your luggage earlyer there is a place you can leave it for some time (I think maximum is 2-3 days) for a fee. you could bring your luggage to the airport the day before if you have the time and money to go to the airport or go the evening before as your teacher suggested.

Otherwise my taxi experience with luggage is kind of limited maybe someone else can give you some input on that one.

I wish you a good round trip around china :)