Chinese-Forums

portable wireless router and 3G

carlo

I'm out of my depth here, so please let me know if what I'm saying makes sense. It occurred to me as I was reading the other thread on the Apple Peel.

There are portable 3G wireless routers such as this one:

Huawei E5

So, could I plug my China Unicom 3G micro-SD card in there (the one that goes into my Iphone) and then share an Internet connection simultaneously with both my Macbook AND an Ipod touch?

If this is possible, the combination of router and Itouch may be almost as convenient as, and cheaper than the Iphone. Battery life on the router is only four hours, but that may be an acceptable trade-off. Not to mention that buying an Iphone4 in China right now looks like mission impossible.

Do you think this would work? Would I still be able to use the China Unicom phone number in some way?

• 2 months later...

You can do that. Portable routers can usually also used as a bridge, means you can plug the hotel ethernet into it and then have the hotels net wireless, in case they have no WiFi...

Apples Airport can do that too, but has no 3G (SIM), there are some other brands. I think D-Link has a model too.