Chinese-Forums

How to use 因为。。所以 when describing the weather

mercury_

• New Members

I'm trying to write a sentence saying 'Because that day was very windy and extremely cold, we walked very quickly'.

I came up with 因为当天是很风和非常冷所以我们走路很快了 but apparently that's incorrect. Could you please explain how it is wrong? 谢谢

People won't say 是很風 to mean 'very windy'. We say: 風很大。In your translation, 和 is not natural in this case, though 'and' means 和。

You can say :

因為那天風很大而且非常冷,所以我們走得很快。'

'因為那天風很大而且冷的要命,所以我們走得很快。

因為那天風很大很冷,所以我們走得很快

因為那天風很大又冷的要命,所以我們走得很快

Also, you cannot have a complement that follows the object of the verb: 我们走很快。

As Semantic Nuance has already said, the correct way of expressing it would be 我们走得很快 (or 我们走路走得很快)

和 as a connective does not function the same way "and" does in English. Generally you don't use it with adjectives.

我们走路很快

I wonder if this 了 came about because you thought of the sentence in past tense? Past tense does not exist in Chinese and 了 is not "past tense." It indicates the completion of a verb, but not with respect to ambient time.

和 as a connective does not function the same way "and" does in English. Generally you don't use it with adjectives.

I have two questions that this raises... the first somewhat more relevant to the OP;

Could you say "天气又大风又非常冷..“ the 又..又 construction to connect adjectives? {I don't know if 大风 works here, maybe 风很大]

Next, I have read in every grammar book I have that 和 can only be used between nouns (or NP's), but I have had a native speaker tell me its OK to use it to connect verbs, etc, which seems wrong to me. Anyone have another opinion?

Could you say "天气又大风又非常冷..“ the 又..又 construction to connect adjectives? {I don't know if 大风 works here, maybe 风很大]

You can definitely use 又...又... to connect adjectives. That is one of the main uses of that construction. The following are possible examples:

我妈妈又矮又胖。

今天风又大天又冷。

Next, I have read in every grammar book I have that 和 can only be used between nouns (or NP's), but I have had a native speaker tell me its OK to use it to connect verbs, etc, which seems wrong to me. Anyone have another opinion?

和 is almost exclusively used between NPs, but I have also heard it between VPs, as in "我在去和不去中纠结" or "走和不走都一样". VP和VP is not that commonly used, so I am not sure if those are dialectical or idiosyncratic variants. Perhaps semantic nuance can fill us in?

• Like 1