Chinese-Forums

Cost of Living in Shenyang

Squirrelly J

I am looking for a really good calculator that will show me how much we need to earn in China (specifically Shenyang in the Northeast) to at least equate what we earn in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We make around 60,000 USD here, but pay taxes, housing, car and gas. In China, our housing well be provided and we will not need a car, therefore, no fuel. I know there are many factors to put in play here but we just don't want to move out of country and find we are in the poverty level, not middle class.

We will earn around 17,000 Yuan per month plus appropriated housing.

This is pretty complicated and there is no calculator like that (at least that I could find), but you can develop one yourself pretty easily. You can compare the purchasing power parity (PPP) per-capita figures between China and the US and use these to develop an exchange rate. Actually I just discovered the IMF already has one.

According to the IMF data at http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2008/01/weodata/index.aspx figures are as follows:

USA GDP per capita (nominal): US$48,944.153

USA GDP per capital (PPP): US$48,944.153

National currency per current international dollar:1.000

China GDP per capita (nominal): CNY27,345.316

China GDP per capita (PPP): International$7,216.900

National currency per current international dollar:3.789

Since they use the United States as a basis, its an easy calculation. You just divide your monthly salary (in Yuan) by 3.789 to get its equivalent in US dollars. So, in your case 17000 is equivalent to $4486.67 in the US, that is, $53840 per annum, a bit more than 10% less than what you make in Tennessee.

Having said that, I don't put a lot of store in these figures. Who knows what products they are using to develop their 'international dollar' exchange rate? Also, in China at least, there can be considerable regional variation in prices which national figures won't show up. Another thing, people in China live different lifestyles to people in the US. For example even a lot of very poor people in America own a car (I imagine). In China only the very rich own cars. So, people don't need to spend as much to feel they are living well. Finally, some things, particularly imported or luxury goods, are actually substantially more expensive in China than in the west, even according to nominal exchange rates. So, if you want to buy those kind of products these figures will give you a false impression of your ability to afford them.

All that aside, at 17000/month with free housing you really don't need to worry about being below the poverty line. You will be extremely rich by Chinese standards. According to this website http://news.022china.com/2010/10-29/357781_0.html the average income in Shenyang in 2010 is 20506 per year. Just don't try buying a car.

I am in Shenyang and I concur with what the above posters have posted.

My main expense is going to the bar for a few drinks, and the fact that I sometimes buy western products.

Buy your veggies and fruit in the markets, so learn to haggle (indeed, conversely, products in local shops are generally cheaper than that in supermarkets). Local restaurants are very cheap too.

17,000 would mean that you can save a bit over time. Enjoy your stay!