Chinese-Forums

New HSK books

Dani_man

Hi,

It has been a while since some new HSK preparation books were published.

I've found BLCU has 3: one, two three

Beida also has one

(All level 5 in this case)

Does anybody have any experience with them?

I usually prefer Beida Chinese books, don't know about HSK exams.

Shall I just buy all of them??

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the UK, and planning to take the new HSK level 4 exam here in May. I'm studying on my own - because there are no classes on my doorstep.

For my basic course of study I use the BLCU course books - 汉语教程。I'm familiar with this series of books, have copies here, so this is convenient for me - and I think the books are OK. Can someone studying at BLCU, or using the BLCU coursebooks, tell me how their books fit in with the new HSK levels?

I know that full-time students at BLCU use these books on the BA courses. For grade 1, there are 4 books in the comprehensive series, which is just called 汉语教程. (They also have books for extensive reading and listening, etc.) These books show me what level the full-time students must have achieved at the end of grade 1. I want to know what level HSK they take during grade 1. In other words, will these 4 books cover all I need to study for level 4? Are the 4 books not going high enough? Going too high?

Anyone know?

• 2 months later...

[uPDATED]

So I ordered the 3 books of BLCU I mentioned above (all for level 5).

I did it through BLCU online store. The shipping was cheaper in 200RMB than Amazon.cn. Item arrived after 3 weeks (the estimation on the website was 10-20 business days).

Number one and three in my post above comes with CD, answers including solutions for the writing assignments, full transcript of the TingLi, and explanation of the correct answer for each question (they just point you to the text which explains the correct one, not much of a benefit I must say) . Number one has 10 exams and suppose to cover all the vocabulary, and number three has 4 exams. They also provide the answers sheet on which the examinee marks his answers, to practice how to fill it in. An important "feature" of this book is that the narrators of the TingLi are the actual people who record the TingLi for the real HSK.

Number two is same of the above (4 exams) except for the explanations of the correct answers. It comes in a folder where each exam is seperated to its own stapled folio and not to one book, which I believe tries to imitate the real HSK format?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some more insights after doing some exams of the first book I've mentioned in the post [and updated insights after the exam.]

Vocabulary which appears in the reading part - As a best practice, I'm trying to learn the words in the text which i didn't understand, assuming they belong to the vocabulary list of level 5. But that's not the case. The words and characters which appear in the reading comprehension section do not necessarily belong to the vocabulary listed by HanBan. This is also true for the HSK exam itself, but not to the same difficulty as in the book (in other words, the HSK exam reading is a bit easier).

Listeing section - the pauses between each question are longer then in the real test. Make sure you practice to read the answers of the coming question quickly. Also, the last passages in each listening section are sometimes absolutely impossible to understand. In the real exam you should also expect that, but again, not to the same degree as in the mock exams.

Writing section - The sentence ordering section is much harder than in the real exam. Yet good practice it is.

This book was enough for me to pass the HSK5 exam. I highly recommened on it. But to get a better feeling of the actual level of the exam (and to cheer you up a bit ;) ) you should try the mock exams provided by HanBan.

Edited by Dani_man
  • Like 2

As regards the use of characters / vocabulary not included in the list of characters for the particular level of exam, one of the skills in listening and reading is learning how to handle unknown material. This is a feature of language exams all over the world. The percentage of genuinely unknown words should be small, with contextual clues to suggest enough information for the candidate to be able to work out the correct answer. This is an attempt to mimic real life, where language input is far from controlled! So in this way, HSK is conforming to language testing norms used more widely.

I've been using the new HSK book for level 4 published by BLCU, working with a teacher, at part-time classes in Beijing for the past few weeks, and think it's OK. So far we've had one listening section question where the selection of answers given were none of them the right one, but that's been the only glitch so far.

• 1 month later...

Hello --was wondering if I could get an update on what you've found from using the books for taking HSK Level 5. When I did the online version of the HSK 4 just to see where I was at (no studying, just decided to try it out) it was so simple that I finished nearly 15 minutes early and got 96% of the questions correct... but when I went to the Foreign Languages bookstore in Beijing the other day and glanced at the Level 6 exam in a book (new Level 6; they didn't have level 5 books around!) it was too difficult (someday I'll get there!). So my guess is I should take Level 5 of the new version. I'd like to take it at the end of June or July depending on my own schedule and I think one or two solid books will get me there. Have you taken the exam yet? Which books did you find the most useful in the end?

Thanks!

Amanda

I'm a level below, so don't know how useful my answer will be.

I used the BLCU New HSK Level 4 book in classes in Beijing (private lessons) and took the exam a week ago (in the UK). From that, I'd say the BLCU book was good preparation. No nasty surprises in the exam at all. At first I thought the exam was a bit easier than the practice papers in the book, but by the end, I thought they really were the same.

As regards steps up in level, the teacher I had for these exam classes in Beijing had some interesting comments. I'd gone from GCSE (a UK state exam)to the old HSK level 2, to the new level 3, and done well on all of them. When I looked at the characters list and sample paper for new level 4, I had a horrible shock! It seemed an enormous step up in level, and I really didn't think I was ready for it. (I'm only a part-time student, studying on my own.) My teacher said this was a fair assessment - it really is a big step up between new level 3 and new level 4 - and to expect the same from now on as I work up in levels. That ties in with your reaction looking at the level 6 book.

Have you looked at the sample level 5 paper available online on the HSK site? And the characters list?

Dani - You asked about memorising characters.

I use anki, but have 3 sets of flashcards.

1. Is a conventional vocab sort: I'm presented with a character / characters, and have to respond with the pinyin (with tones) plus translation.

2. Is for writing: I'm presented with the pinyin and English (so that deals with ambiguity in pinyin), and I have to write down the character(s), which I do on a piece of paper, and compare it with what then comes up.

3. Is a collection of sentences, a collection I've built up ever since I started using anki. I use the sentences from the texts in the coursebook, I use example sentences from my grammar books, and I use example sentences from the online dictionaries (YellowBridge and MDBG). Altogether, the sentences give me reading practice, give me vocabulary in context, and give me grammar in context. Sometimes a sentence gives me all 3, sometimes I add in sentences just to give me practice with one of those. I'm presented with the sentence in characters, I see if I can read it correctly, and get given it in pinyin to check, plus translation if I think I might need it or it's something I'm really having problems with.

All 3 sets are ones I've made from myself. It's slower than using ready-made flashcards, but it covers all and everything I want and I can't believe how well it all works. The sentences one might work well for you. Slow to set up - though typing it all, in characters and pinyin, is not a bad aid to memorisation!

@amandagmu - I agree that the step up for level 6 from 5 might be the hardest (from 2500 words to 5000). Someone in the thread here also said that the mock exams on chinesetesting.cn reflect the actual level, so try it and see how it goes.

@JenniferW - well done for the sentences 真是努力 :)

Actually I've found on Anki's libraries a deck that also contains sentences and its english translation. Maybe I should give it a shot, that's really a good method.

• Like 1

The thing about having a deck of sentences on anki may be getting a bit off-topic for this thread - but I even ended up putting in sentences from the practice papers I'd done in the new HSK book of papers! You know from those which things you really don't know, know you should do some work on them, and it turned out to be a very simple way of drumming it in fairly painlessly. The sentences flashcards are a million times more interesting than ordinary vocab ones. You realise much more about where your problems are, I think.

• Like 2

Yep, chinesetesting.cn is where I did the trial test. The biggest jump up to level 6 seems not to simply be a matter of vocabulary (I actually have a high vocabulary recognition) but the subtle difference in how to *use* the vocabulary. The first exam I looked at had fill-in-the-blanks with 4 nearly idential 成语 you had to choose from in one sample question. In another, it was knowing the difference between all those words that mean *almost* the same thing (like the ones for "difference" "different" "differing" etc). In other words you actually have to know how to properly and correctly use these terms like a native speaker would (!). Scared the begeezus out of me.....

• 2 weeks later...

Having just passed the New HSK Level 4 (my first HSK), I can say that the online mock exam was about the level as the real one.

As for the books, I didn't use any. I found that studying the official word list was enough (assuming you're at an intermediate level like me). When I first started going through the word list, there were around 500 words I didn't know. I think the list approach (just this once!) was a time-efficient way of studying.

• 8 months later...

I just compared the BLCUP and the PUP mock exam book series for the new HSK.

The BLCUP books (see http://www.blcup.com/en/list_1.asp?id=3195 ) use words that are not in the official vocab lists,

the PUP books (see http://www.chinasprout.com/shop/BLK026 ) only use words from the official list,

like the mock exams on chinesetesting.

I recommend the PUP books.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • New Members
manlearningmandarin

JenifferW in UK

Hi

My situation is similar to yours in that I live too far away to attend chinese classes but would like to sit for the HSK tests.I am just starting on these tests. I did however complete the Introductory course at the confucius instituye and studies the'Easy Peasy Chinese' book.

My plan is to study on my own and appear for the exams (Level 1) this summer.Can you or anyone else suggest textbooks ,materials for that. I have already bought the 'new Concept Chinese' text book and downloaded some exam material from hanban.org.I plan to listen to Michel Thomas CDs as well,Am I completely in the wrong path or if there's anything appropriate for self study can you let me know.

Thanks in advance.

@Manlearningmandarin -

sounds like a good plan, but of course it's hard to say cause everyone has a different background.

Did you already inspect the materials you downloaded from Hanban? What do you think? And how do you get along with the Hanzi?

I feel like we, the learners, are a gold mine for the publishers and they'll try to get us to buy a gazillion aids and spend a fortune. But do you need all that really? You say you took an introductory course and you already have a textbook, and the way I see it is that it's already absolutely sufficient for HSK 1.

Maybe it's just me but I find the first 2 HSK levels very easy, and the only "deal" about them is getting used to the talking speed and the pronunciation.

They have a mainland accent, and to me, who's used to hearing Taiwanese, it was completely incomprehensible in the beginning. Took me a few days to tune my ears in.

So in my opinion, buying a lot of text books for the first HSK levels will only help the publishers (their bank accounts to be specific :wink: ) but not us.

So what I would do is: put the sample audio files on repeat while you do stuff around the house, and put them on your MP3 player, so you get used to the pronunciation in an effortless way.

And there are some great free online resources for beginners

Listening comprehension:

"Growing Up with Chinese" - search this forum for download links. It's really really REALLY good. Extra Bonus: they speak so sloppy, if you get used to THAT you will master the HSK listening comprehension in a breeze, LOL!

Sentence structure, speaking:

Livemocha - free Mandarin lessons where native speakers will review your homework. It is a community based on mutual help, so you will have to help others with their English homework (or whatever your native language is).

Reading, listening:

Hanban's sample tests and audio materials (you already downloaded those).

Hanzi:

Anki - a neat repetition software. You can download the Hanzi learning cards, divided into HSK1, HSK2, etc. ... that software is the next best thing after sliced bread!

• Like 1

• New Members
manlearningmandarin

Hi

Many Thanks to Ruben von Zwack for your suggestions.

I'll certainly follow up on the links.The book I have read is very basic 'Easypeasy chinese' but I hope it is of some us.

But really appreciate the trouble take

Regards

• 2 months later...