Chinese-Forums

Where to go after 'Matthews-style' Heisig?

symphony

Hello everyone!

I've been studying Mandarin on-and-off for the past few years, and recently I've decided to get much more serious about learning. I started going through Heisig's Remembering the Simplified Hanzi a little over a month ago (having already almost completed Remembering the Kanji about a year ago), and I decided to take a 'Matthews-style' approach, meaning that like in the Matthews book, I would learn the pronunciation along with each character and its meaning. I'm at frame 650 as of today, and so far it's working pretty well for me (I'm using Anki to review, by the way). I decided to do this because by the time I'm finished, I'll be able to go through whatever beginner textbook I choose without having to learn characters, which will make the whole process faster. My overall goal is that I'll be able to learn to speak and understand much more quickly than if I had decided to take a more "traditional" approach.

So my question for all of you is - what exactly should I do after I finish Remembering the Simplified Hanzi? Do you think I should continue with what I had been thinking and find a textbook? Or should I do something else entirely? I was planning on perhaps going through the "Integrated Chinese" books so I can put all the characters I know together into words/phrases/etc. Does anyone know anything about this book/a better alternative?

Thanks!