Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese, Hokkien, Minnanyu Phrase book

chaxiu

Recently I picked up a really interesting phrase book while I was in Japan. The book was designed for Japanese people to learn Taiwanese and or Taiwanese Mandarin. The book contains 2900 sentences covering a variety of topics.

Each sentence is written firstly in Japanese followed by Taiwanese and then Mandarin. The Taiwanese and Mandarin sentences have both characters and pinyin. They use a fairly standard POJ pinyin for the Taiwanese (thank goodness) and hanyu pinyin for the Mandarin sentences. It comes with three CDs and the audio is decent.

I've attached the first audio track and a photo copy of the first page.

Anyway it seems like a very useful resource for anyone who already knows either Japanese of Mandarin to learn some Taiwanese.

台灣語會話フレーズブック CD BOOK

すぐに使える日常表現2900

ISBN : 978-4-7569-1391-3

Cheers

Chaxiu

01 - 趙怡華 - バスに乗る.mp3

post-13008-019552200 1290932039_thumb.jpg

If you can read Japanese there are some great resources for learning Taiwanese, the

聴いて,話すための-台湾語基本単語2000 by 鄭正浩 is a nice little vocab checklist with 2000 of the most commonly used words in Taiwanese

台湾語会話 by 樋口 靖 is a very good exercise book on basic Taiwanese grammar. Nice and compact too, not like the Maryknoll books or Bodman. I think it's out of print at the moment.

台湾語会話

There is one excellent series of phrasebooks with pictures in Japanese, but I forget the name. They even have one for North Korea, which I have thought would be interesting to learn Korean from.

They have one for Taiwanese Mandarin too, useful because it's almost impossible to get a textbook in traditional characters for Mandarin in Japanese

• 8 years later...

Hi there,

If you're just after a phrase book you can try 生活台語會話 by 林仙台 is fine. It has English/Chinese/Taiwanese(POJ). It has 2 CDs, from memory in Taiwanese and Chinese. It was pretty cheep too. I think paid about 300NT for it (about $10 AUD) at the time.

You can see the first 20 pages here:

https://ebook.hyread.com.tw/bookDetail.jsp?id=25852

You can purchase it here:

http://www.sanmin.com.tw/Product/Index/000673552

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there, 

For those interested in learning Hokkien/Taiwanese, Mandarin, Japanese and English:

台灣語會話フレーズブック is currently out of print however a fellow by the name of David Li̍p-Úi Tân(陳立偉)has added English translations and Romaji for the Japanese. It's available in PDF for $85 USD. Audio is also available but I forget the price (I'll edit the post when I find it). 

I have the original book and CDs but just purchased the PDF to use with my 11 year old son who is learning Taiwanese.

You can find   David Li̍p-Úi Tân(陳立偉) on Facebook.

Thanks

Chaxiu

• Helpful 1