Chinese-Forums

Buying an HK Iphone through taobao

sleepy eyes

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I figured this would be the best place to ask. I tried looking this up on the internet but had no success. I would like to buy an HK Iphone 4 (no youtube/google maps troubles + no China Unicom plans for lesser prices). A friend of mine is visiting HK in december but he's not very enthusiastic about buying it for me, so I've been considering buying it online, even if it's more expensive. I found a few on Taobao and they all seemed slightly sketchy. However, there a few sellers located in HK that seem more reliable, if not overtly so. Am I allowed to buy items from HK while living in the mainland? And would I have to pay taxes for the item? Thanks in advance.

Online orders from Apple for HK iPhone can only be shipped to HK addresses. In any case, it seems that Apple is currently out of iPhone 4 in HK. It might be easier to buy a smuggled in iPhone 4 in mainland. It should cost about RMB 5000 for a 16G model.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1009869

Where can I buy IPhone 4 in Hong Kong

http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

If I buy iPhone from this Apple Online Store, can I ship it to another country?

No. Orders placed through this Apple Online Store can be shipped only within the country of purchase. You can also shop for friends and family in countries where iPhone is sold. Just visit the local store of the country where you want your products delivered.

Thanks, gato. I know this might be stretching things even further, but couldyou or anyone lend me some insight, as I'm clueless... Do these seem reliable? http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6824744892 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7742133530

A whole lot more than I would pay in HK, but if you say they are short of iphones there, it might be the best option anyway. Plus, I didn't know retail stores there could charge you extra. I thought apple had a very strict policy with their pegged prices. The ipods there were the same price everywhere.

I remember when I was shopping for dslr cameras near the Chungking Mansions, I asked someone why everyone was weary of the brightly-lit shops if the prices were so much better. Surely not every single person is afraid of gray market items or 100% insistent on warranty(not very advantageous for canon in hk anyway, and pretty much useless if you're going away afterwards). They said those products could be easily adulterated and replaced with cheaper parts. Dunno if that's true, but I hope there's no chance this would be happening if I bought one of these taobao hk iphones.

I live in Chongqing, so the only iphones here would be via China Unicom. I dislike the price, even if there's a rebate afterwards; plus I don't care much for their plans. Though I wonder if the youtube/google maps thing is much of an issue? And are there other with mainland iphones?

Thanks for the help!

Though I wonder if the youtube/google maps thing is much of an issue?

You'll still need to use VPN to access Youtube on your iPhone in China. A HK-purchased iPhone will have the same issue in mainland.

Since you live in Chongqing where there are probably fewer iPhone dealers, instead of going with a dealer you don't know, it probably does make sense to buy it from a dealer with good feedback on Taobao.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already purchased your iPhone, it doesn't really make sense to buy it in HK since you can buy it direct from Apple in China. It's cheaper than if you buy it on contract from Unicom, although getting it on Unicom is a good idea in my opinion since it includes 6,000 yuan in 话费 (phone service). What a lot of people were doing until recently (Unicom has stopped them) was buying iPhone 4 on contract and then selling the phone for roughly what it cost for the phone WITH 2 years of service and keeping the 话费. If you don't want it on contract for whatever reason - keep in mind, the iPhone is really meant to be used on a 3G network - buy direct from Apple.

• 1 month later...

You can check http://www.iphone4hongkong.com - they have the latest shop prices. Currently it's about HK$6600 for the 16G version. They also monitor the Apple Online store when the iPhone 4 becomes available. Since mid-October it's "currently not available", except for 1 hour in November and December.

I would not buy it online (other then from Apple direct), too much cheating is going on with the iPhone.

• 2 months later...