Chinese-Forums

Eligibility for Chinese Passport?

andrewm

• New Members

Hello, I am just wondering who is elegible to apply for a Chinese passport?

I was born in Australia, and have been back to visit China a few times, as my mum is Chinese. My father is English and I was able to get a UK passport without even having to go there. I am wondering if i am able to obtain a Chinese passport since my mum is from china?

Thanks heaps everyone!

As far as I know it depends on whether your mother had Australian (or British) citizenship or permanent residence at the time you were born. If yes, then you won't be considered as a Chinese citizen and can not get a Chinese passport. Otherwise it should be possible, but, as Roddy mentioned, might require you to give up all other passports.

• Like 1

Yes. You can do it. No problem.  

First give up all other passports (as Roddy has pointed out),

Then apply for a Chinese passport.

Then have to apply and pay for visas for almost every city and certainly every country in the world you ever want to go to.

Why do you think there are so many "visa girls" wanting to marry foreigners to get foreign passports? 

The British passport is the most useful in the world. No one sane would exchange it for a Chinese one!

• Like 1

As stated above, a Chinese passport is a major headache in terms of travel (I think you're ok with Switzerland). Are you thinking about the cost of applying for visas each time you visit China? If so - join the club. We have to apply and pay the fee with both of our children on each visit to China - despite their mother, like yours, being Chinese.

• Like 1

As noted by others, China does not allow a Chinese national to have multiple citizenships. Below is an article from a few months ago showing how hard it is for a Chinese citizen to get visas to travel abroad.

If you're not already married, a foreigner possessing Chinese citizenship would probably be--for Chinese girls--the equivalent of an anti-chick magnet. I guess that you could always try to start a relationship first and then break the news to her much later. If I had a terminal illness, that would probably be my same approach.

http://www.chinatraveltrends.com/2010/08/getting-a-foreign-visa-for-chinese-citizens/

• Like 1