Chinese-Forums

“没有“另一个意思。Another meaning for "mei2you3"?

webmagnets

I came across the following sentence:

虽然我们没有人会故意判断上帝,却可能会无意中犯了这个毛病,因为我们是不完美的。

What does 没有 mean in this context?

If it means the same as 不是, then why did the author not simply choose to say that instead?

It just has the usual meaning here, and it could be translated as "There are none of us who...".

As for the structure in the original Chinese, I think you could regard 我們 as the topic, so it's a bit like saying "As for us, there are none [of us] who...".

• Like 1

My understanding of the 我们没有人会故意判断上帝 part is that it is an existential sentence of the type

"place (without preposition) + (没)有 + (optional number and classifier) + thing or person".

我们 ("among us") is the place, and 人会故意判断上帝 is the thing or person which is located (or not) at that place.

In this type of sentence, 有/没有 could be replaced with 是/不是 in some cases (but I don't know the exact rule... only I feel that 有/没有 is used much more often than 是/不是).

虽然我们没有人会故意判断上帝,却可能会无意中犯了这个毛病,因为我们是不完美的。

"Although there is no one among us who would deliberately judge God, nevertheless its possible that someone would unintentionally make this mistake; because we are imperfect."

没有 has the normal meaning here (i.e. "to not have/there is not"), however your confusion may lie in the idea that 有 is also an existence ("to be") verb in Chinese.

In answer to your question, the reason the author did not say "虽然我们不是故意判断上帝的人..." is because 是 is an existence verb with only the meaning of equivalency. For example: "This is a table", "This = table", "這是一張桌子". So the sentence with 不是 would mean:

"Although we are not people who would deliberately judge God..."

This sentence has a slightly different meaning than the first, and it requires changing the sentence a bit to get the desired effect.

If you want to use the other meaning of the English existence verb, you would say: "There is a table here", "在這裡有一張桌子".

To do a one-for-one replacement with 不是, you would end up with:

"虽然我们不是人会故意判断上帝..."

This means: "Although we are not people able to deliberately judge God..."

That's okay grammar in English, but not okay in Chinese. A Chinese reader would likely see:

"Although we are not people. Able to deliberately judge God..."

To a Chinese reader, that would be confusing.