Chinese-Forums

Running

aihaike

Dear all,

I'm in Beijing since several weeks and I wish to know some nice place for running out of Beijing (I guess in Beijing it's not possible because of the pollution).

Knowing some place is the first point but how to get there every weeks?

I forgot all my staff like choose and so on ... Where can I buy sportswear ?

Thanks in advance,

Eric.

Not sure about running places, if you wish to get away from Beijing every week you could perhaps go to the Great Wall or the Ming Tombs by bus, although it will eat up most of your day. Alternately book a taxi to go there, wait for you, and bring you back (the expense is not the same of course, but it will be quicker and more flexible).

You could also try running in the Summer Palace or Temple of Heaven for a more pleasant scene than Beijing streets, although pollution is probably bad.

As to shoes etc. there are some shopping malls in WangFuJing and other places of course, but I haven't bought running stuff in Beijing myself.

(this is really not very useful post perhaps - Beijingers will certainly have more useful advice)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi am moving to BJ too and a m a bit worried in regards of running and outdoor exercising. I ll be based out at 3rd ring Road close to Birds nest.

any idea on what kinda mask i would need? theres also some long strip of park down the street. what kinda masks are recommended?

Thanks

Hey MrZ,

I finally decided to run early in the morning in order to avoid traffic and pollution (somehow).

When I said early it's from 4 to 5 am.

I do not use mask but I heard that it's difficult to breath with it.

Good luck.

Actually, it's been better than I thought in terms of air quality. Mind you, I said "better" meaning that we have had more blue sky days than I thought we would have; the air quality on the bad days is really, truly horrible. However, I haven't had to visit the treadmill in a few months. Some weeks are frustrating because you have to be ready to go outside on the days that are "blue sky" days. My advice is to check the twitter feed via VPN (twitter.com/beijingair) regularly. When it drops below 120-150, I go outside and run. When it's 150+ I think twice and consider my other options: I have a gym I belong to, there's a pool next door, and I have been more than happy going to Heyrobics (http://heyrobics.com) workouts these days. Since you're not that far from the Olympic area, you should try out the Olympic forest park. It's fairly large (I think I did a 12K run around the perimeter one time, but you could easily make it longer).

If you're interested in meeting up with a group of foreigners for running we meet Saturdays (Chaoyang Park, all levels) and often on Sundays. Last Sunday we shared taxis out to the mountains for a long run. You're welcome to join and/or get on the listserv. PM me for details.

EDIT: P.S. I'm one of the posters in that above thread... ;-)

aihaike- I prefer outside running too, and in fact, I've structered my life so that I can run the trails in HK pretty much every day! ;) (And as a side note, if anyone ever wants to run/hike in HK, please let me know,...I can show you some cool trails)

However, while it might be fun to take a trip to a surrounding park, or go outside Beijing city into the countryside for a long run (which I'd freely admit would be the more enjoyable option), why not just count on something dependable and pollution free?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

(I may be a few months late)

But I live across the road to the olympic forrest . . I plan on hitting that up the second I am allowed to run . . . currently having rabies injections and not allowed to exercise heavily =[ such a shame!

Anyway, if anybody comes up this way let me know I may be interested =]

Although after august, once I can run again!