Chinese-Forums

New Quentin Tarantino Kung-fu flick!!

ChouDoufu

He's gonna make a movie entirely in Mandarin! Some people complained that tarantino mixed up what is Japanese and Chinese, in his Kill Bill flick. Well, from the horses mouth:

The unnamed film will stay true to the original Japanese cinematic form, complete with shaky shots, classic marital arts and even Mandarin Chinese dialogue.

In a recent interview Tarantino said, "I enjoyed shooting all the Japanese stuff in 'Kill Bill' so much that this whole film will be entirely in Mandarin."

so, obviously he doesn't care about the differences in culture. that's such a great quote though!

http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/2536.html

I loved this quote from the guardian's article

Chinese martial artist Gordon Liu had some sharp words for Uma Thurman's linguistic efforts: "Your Mandarin is lousy. I can't understand a single word you say. It causes my ears discomfort."

I feel better now.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1341354,00.html

Roddy

You really have to appreciate Quentin Tarantino for helping to put Asian films on a lot of otherwise clueless people's radar screens, but after continuously aping kung fu/samurai/blaxploitation/various B-movie genres and outright stealing plot lines (RESERVOIR DOGS nee CITY ON FIRE), you also have to wonder if the guy has an original idea lurking anywhere in his brain.

"I enjoyed shooting all the Japanese stuff in 'Kill Bill' so much that this whole film will be entirely in Mandarin."

?? I guess filming in Beijing while part of the movie plays in Japan got him mixed up :-/ Somebody should tell QT the difference between China and Japan.

There was an article about this published in The Age recently. Here is a link: Kill Bill follow on

The bit I found most interesting was Tarantino's plan to produce a dubbed version.

In homage to the often shakily-shot budget martial arts films of the era, the English dubbing will be deliberately out of synchronisation with the action.

Another couple of interesting and related articles:

How the West was won about the increasing popularity of Chinese films

A leap into stardom about Zhang Ziyi

• 1 month later...

I became interested in Chinese cinema via Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee and Chow Yun Fat. Why should we be grateful that an American who rarely quotes his sources has 'opened up the world of Chinese cinema" as some people like to imagine?

If Quentin openly admitted all of the sources he plundered then he would have a mountain of lawsuits stacked up on his doorstep. Instead, he chooses to say nothing, making most people believe they really are all his own ideas! Great!

What next? 'Bollywood Dogs"?!

QT:

"Yeah well, I love that singing and dancing stuff, i really dig it."

Interviewer:

"It's a bit like Indian cinema with the singing and dancing right?"

QT:

"I like all cinema. The fact that they dress in suits, speak like wise-cracking hard bolied cops who are just like me...'and' dance and sing in Hindi is all part of where i'm from man!"

Interviewer:

"India?"

QT:

"My next film is going to be set in Mongolia and deal with ninja battling on rooftops. All the dialouge will be in Czech"

Interviewer...

"So..this comes from where?"

QT:

"My childhood, people I saw, I listened to em'."

:clap