Chinese-Forums

How does Zhuyin work?

Player01

Pinyin can tell you how to read these words.

something about the tones.you can treat it as five levels.tones change like this."ā" is 5-5."á" is 3-5."ǎ" is 2-1-4."à"is 5-1.

if you want to type it on computer.you can use word.chose "insert"-"special symbol"-"pinyin".I do it like this.

good luck!

• Like 2

I think it's very helpful to know both zhuyin and pinyin. I know that there are keyboards that have zhuyin input. My Taiwanese electronic dictionary has zhuyin input. I still do all pinyin input. Zhuyin fuhao is for those who are learning to reading traditional characters. It is especially helpful for kids.

@Player01, after reading the article Hofmann linked to, do you have any specific questions?

Zhuyin fuhao is for those who are learning to reading traditional characters.

Pinyin works equally well for traditional as it does for simplified. And one could certainly use Zhuyin for simplified. [Although since only Taiwan uses Zhuyin, and Taiwan uses traditional, you probably won't find any, but that doesn't mean it can't be used.]

Pinyin can tell you how to read these words.

Zhuyin does as well, once you learn it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Zhuyin is useful if one is:

-aware which sounds are connected with which Traditional Chinese Characters

-as well as the tone connected in the context of each ideogram

-conversant with BFMF phonetic combinations

-knowledge of stroke and radical indexing to locate characters

Drawbacks:

-time consuming [page up/down folio menu] to find characters

-multigram selections only in the Taiwan based traditional Chinese idiom

-many key taps in the row above QWERTY make it an eye hand coordination struggle

Additionally:

-Recent adaptations have seen a rapid zhuyin system that allows one key character for each of the phonetic sounds in Guo Yu. The output is understood in the syntax and multigram order. The young Taiwanese seem to use it with great facility. However, for learners it's prohibitive, and for traditionalists its thought of as a degradation of the mother tongue!

RE: jbradfor: Yes and no! I have not yet used Shuangpin, which has a more ergonomic layout. Also I know that Mainland China stenographers use a phonetic layout on the Yawei machine,in which the stenographer creates her own phonetic mnemonic data base.

.....But at the more negative domain of entry you have to face the nightmare of trying to keytap BPMF, or ABC for that matter, on digital devices such as cell phones, and handheld dictionaries.

.....Then there is always the future of keytapping in Chinese Coded Shorthand.see: sujisol@blogspot