Chinese-Forums

Over the Counter Drugs

BR 2004

I'm moving to Shenzhen in a few months. Would like to know if western OTC drugs (colds, painkillers, etc.) are available and can be easily purchased.

I am on an anti-depressant and will probably be on it for a long time, so can I bring a year's supply or will that be a problem at Customs? (will be arrriving in Hong Kong). Do I need a prescription in Chinese from my doctor in Brazil? Any clues on Chinese laws?

I don't mean to sound hypocondriac, but I'd appreciate info on these topics.

Thank you.

I'm moving to Shenzhen in a few months. Would like to know if western OTC drugs (colds, painkillers, etc.) are available and can be easily purchased.

Many are the day when I wish I could find some decent painkillers in China; the Stoli and Cuervo Gold just aren't cutting it anymore.

Bring your year's supply of anti-depressants (and some extras for me) as their use in China, to my knowledge, is very much in its infancy..although given another decade of spectacularly rising incomes and the soul-searching vacuum that inevitably follows, I'm sure the megalithic pharmaceutical manufacturers of the world will have much fertile new ground to till. I think one head of the China Daily hydra reported on just such a phenomenon taking root. Of course, have your prescription handy just in case any questions are asked.

OTC medicines of all sorts are easily found and I'm sure someone will mention all the traditional medicine/herbal formulas available as well; in Shenzhen, maybe you can get that awesome codeine-laced cough syrup from Hong Kong. If you're a fan of aspirin, bring some of your favorite as a lot of Chinese aspirin is ridiculously weak (25mg pills...what is that all about??). And, if you're a vitamin freak, bring some of your necessities as well as the vitamins here are of the synthetic, One-A-Day variety.