Chinese-Forums

Windows IME without using language bar

count_zero

I have windows XP. I can't type in Chinese because if I switch languages from EN to CH on the language bar whichever programme I'm in crashes.

I've installed Sougou and Google IMEs but they all appear to run from the language bar and so don't appear.

Is there any way I can install an IME or type in Chinese without using the language bar?

It's not really a solution to your IME problem, but as a temporary measure and if you're only looking to type a few characters rather than pages of text, you could go to www.google.com.hk then type in the pinyin. As long as what you write isn't too obscure you should find the Chinese characters come up underneath and they can then be copied and pasted into whatever document you are working in. If the characters don't come up underneath, try searching and see if it offers you the Chinese characters as an alternative search term.

It sounds to me like you need to fix the problem with your language bar crashing - I suspect you've got another IME installed that is perhaps causing the problem so you should delete that and see if the problem goes away.

The way to do this is by going to:

Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages

and then click on the "Details" button.

This will bring up a list of all installed input methods and languages.

Set the default input language to English (US) - US (or whatever the default keyboard layout of your country is).

Now delete all of the installed services except that one and then reset your computer.

When you've rebooted, go back into this box and add back in any input methods that you want (you should be able to find both Google and Sogou under Chinese (PRC)), without needing to reinstall them.

Add one, and then go into a program such as notepad or word and check to see if changing the language works without crashing. If it crashes, go back and delete it, and then try adding the other one. If it doesn't crash, then mission accomplished.