Chinese-Forums

Advice for my first Chinese New Year

Chinabound

Hello All, Since this is going to be my first time living in China during Chinese New Year. I was wondering if any members can give me some advice oh how to maybe prepare for it or what I should do when meeting my wife's family during the New Year festival? I have read somethings on the internet and have even been to Chinatown in Philadelphia during Chinese New Years. But would really appreciate any advice that members can give me.

Thank you.

I think you should bring a gift.

Ask your wife, but she might not give you an honest answer. In the sense that as a foreigner, the standards for you a lower, so she might say no gift is needed while if you were Chinese a gift would be expected. And, in some ways, it is an awkward question for her, since this is something that you are buying for her parents, and thus in some ways, by extension for her.

And as a gesture, you could offer to slaughter your father-in-law's pig.

And here I thought learning 宰 was pointless....

Chinese New Year in China is very different from Chinese New Year overseas. In fact, it's more akin to Christmas - everything shuts down, and everyone goes home.

Be prepared for making/eating Jiaozi, watching the Chinese New Year Gala and random fireworks going off in all directions, at all hours of the day/night.

It really depends on where is your wife's hometown.

For example, everyone might think chinese eat Jiaozi in the newyear's eve, but in the south of Mainland, we don't. In my hometown, we eat 粽子 instead. And in province 广东,广西, you need to give 红包 to the kids, sometimes even your parents in low.

But I agree with anonymoose, drinking is needed. Especially if you came from Russian or Germany or anyother country chinese think all the people there drinks a lot.

b.t.w Gift is a little weird to chinese new year. You should just buy some fruits with you, and prepare 红包 with some money. I dont know how much exactly in your wife's hometown, your wife may give you some advice.

Relax and enjoy yourself, it's the holidays. And make sure you can hold your beer...you probably already knew that if you've visited family before. I don't think there would be anything expected of you. But my safe go to gift is something local to me and edible. If they don't like it, it's something to laugh about, if they do it's gone and there's no obligation to have something like a tower of London snow globe somewhere in the house.

• New Members

I think you'd better give your wife's parents some gifts, such as thermal underwear

And you should give children some new year luckly money

cetainly you'd better put them into a red packets, you can find them in any store.

luckly money(压岁钱 ya1 sui4 qian2)red packet(红包 hong2bao1)

Chinese spring festival is the most important holiday for Chinese people. it's a happy moment for family reunion. Do in Rome as Rome does (入乡随俗). 1.you can bring some gifts for your relatives to show your respect and love to them. 2. don't forget to compliment their warm treat after the dinner, 好吃极了/非常好吃。3.smile, smile, smile.

I think you'd better give your wife's parents some gifts, such as thermal underwear

Trust me, never choose thermal underwear as a new-year gift for your parent's in low. It would be extramly akward to receive underwears from son-in-low. But it's ok to give it to your wife or some really close friends in the Chinese New Year.

But all around China, lucky money for children are always necessary. You dont need to put a lot of money into the red bag, if you were not in a big city, 10 or 20 yuan are ok. For some children from the closed family with your wife's, you can put in a little bit much. You should take some advice about this from your wife.

Anyway, whatever you do, do not choose underwear as new-year gift for your parent's-in-low.

can't believe anyone is seriously suggesting you get involved in that, apart from helping fold the money and put it into the envelopes if she asks.

Ah, also one more thing, someone has to earn the money that is to be folded and put into the envelopes.