Chinese-Forums

Favorite Chop Socky Movie Titles

Guest Chairman Roberto

Guest Chairman Roberto

(Originally Posted at Dave's ESL Cafe some time back)

My Top Five Favorite Titles for Chop Socky Films. Indeed, kungfu movies are what inspired me to come here in the first place!

5. Against the Drunken Cat Paws. (Title refers to the fighting style imitating a drunk cat. Just put some bai jiu in your cat's saucer and you too can see what a killing machine your gentle feline REALLY is).

4. Magnificent Butcher (the most magnificent film about butchers to date)

3. Kill All Manchus (A thoughtful documentary that carefully analyzes the shortcomings of the Qing adminstration).

2. Dirty Ho (Sorry, no ladies of the night involved in this unfortunatley titled Gordon Liu feature. Still, it's Gordon's magnum opus. See it before you check out Kill Bill).

1. Buddhist Death Squad. (featuring a rather novel approach to Buddhism).

Honorable Mention: Shaolin Vs. Lama. The doctrinal rivarly between the Mahayana monks of Shaolin and the Tibetan lamas of Vajrayana tradition turns bloody.

"I got yer crouching tiger, hidden dragon--right here!"

The Chairman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Chairman Roberto!

I replied to your original post at the ESL Cafe, and here I'm replying w/an anecdote.

When I was talking to my students about Quentin Tarantino ripping off Ringo Lam and John Woo, the students got to take a look at the English names of the movies ("A Better Tomorrow," "A Better Tomorrow II," "City on Fire," and "Prison on Fire") for the first time. Some wag in the class asked, "Teacher, is there a film called 'Tomorrow on Fire'?"

There are some movie names that are way better in Chinese than in English. Woo's "The Killer" is "A Pair of Blood Spattering Heroes" in Chinese, while "Hard Boiled" is "Spicy-Handed God of Cops." The zombie movie "Bio-Cops" is called something like, "Kowloon Wretched Police Station" in Chinese, which I think is a lot better.