Chinese-Forums

Chinese classes - where to look for?

skidooman

I hope I am posting in the right forum. Otherwise, just let me know.

I need some help here, and I don't know who to ask. :help

Basically, I learned Chinese with my wife, and I also attended a variety of language classes (Chinese and Japanese) in the Washington DC area (USDA Grad School).

Recently, I moved in the Boston area. For Japanese classes, there is always the local Japan society, which offers classes that are a true challenge. But I did not find anything for Chinese. I tried to find culture centers and the likes, but they only provide classes to K12 students. Universities do not offer schedules that are compatible with working adults, and their pricing is out of this world. Besides, they offer mostly beginners classes anyway.

I am left wondering whether studying Chinese is only for the very young and college grads. :wall:conf

Can somebody help me? Where should I look for classes? I am particularly interested in learning how to write better. My tingli also needs to be improved, but that can be done with enough TV and conversations. For the writing part, there is just nothing that can match a class, I think.

Is there a local noticeboard or reader-to-reader sort of function you can use there?

Beyond that, the only thing I can think of is getting a really good textbook and working through it steadily, meking yourself learn the characters as you go. Try to make a language exchange friend to help you with this and keep you at it, although perhaps your wife is Chinese and can help?

Sorry I can't be much more use, but I'm not local, so........

• 4 weeks later...

There is a Chinese Language Meetup Group meeting on Monday, December 13, 7:00 PM in the Central Boston area. It is free to register and join I think. There are more locations listed, but to get specifics, you have to sign up for that group, I think, or you could contact the organizer who is listed on the page.

http://chinese.meetup.com/35/

The description of the purpose of this group is as follows:

Want to practice your Chinese? Meetup with others in your area who are also interested in the Chinese language. All ages and levels of proficiency are welcome!

I looked up for USA and used the zip code for Boston which I found in USPS.com. There are no Chinese meetup groups in my area, but there is a Japanese group. We do have many Chinese restaurants though with people who don't speak much English. I have been learning Chinese on my own for one month now and have been learning more about how to read characters than how to speak or write. :shock: