Chinese-Forums

Chinese Babies Kept in Sandbags in rural areas- Still Today?

almost_azn

Are chinese babies in rural farming areas still kept in sandbags so that there parents can work? I am doing a project for World History, and the article we were given is dated from 1990. I've read about some research from Wei. J. that this practice slows development, but i cannot find any sources stating whether or not this still goes on today. If anyone could help me out with links or information, it would be much appriciated.

Xie Xie

What do you mean by 'sandbag'? I come from China mainland. I have never heard of this stuff. I was grow up in the city. And I was spend my early life in the nursery school as many western country.

As I know in rural farming areas the babies are often looked after by the elder of their family like grandpa or grandma.

That's what I can offer. I'm search for some picture on the internet for you project.

Keeping babies in sandbags is only in the very poor rural areas according to my article. Farmers along the Yellow River fill the bag up with a little sand and set their baby in it so that it works like a diaper and the baby cannot wiggle away and get into trouble while their parents are working in the fields. However, i don't know if this still goes on Today. If anyone has any links or info on this practice continuing today, please help me.

• 14 years later...

Try as I might, I can't find any photos. Perhaps not too surprising, if it was effectively over by the 90s and only happened in very poor and remote places. And I'm not good at Google...

Kelmegs, how have you come to be researching this?

• 2 weeks later...

interesting, I grow up back in the 80s, both in montain area and city like a half/half, never even heard of such thing, as even for wiki or google it's no where to be found.

Yet, I don't think that's a lie, since I do remember back in the late 80s, in some parts of China, people were extremly poor, I mean beyond what you would expected.

So, here's my thought, it could be a true fact in GanSu or Shanxi province back in late 80s, It could be. But it's long gone since internet shopping has became so popular and roads and railways has expanded so massively, there is really no need to use such 'sandbag' method for babies to urine or such anymore. Heck, I live in a small country town and my cat use diaper made by real cotton....

30 years ago, maybe that happened, maybe even it was a thing back than. But it's long lost due to the progress that we had made, I think.

Edited by blackmeow
typo