Chinese-Forums

listening material???

[GODCHA]

I'm trying to practise listening ability..for Chinese..so I borrowed one chinese drama from my friends..but they speak too fast..and the subtitle is in Chinese however its not exactly same as what actor or actress saying.. yeah..so..anyone can tell me which drama or film..or even other material is good for listening practise??

Thanks..

oh..and definitly i need a subtitle.. :roll:

For your case, I think the 三国演义 is best for you. Cos its a histroic TV drama, the people in it speak relly slow. The bad news is their language is some kind of archaic or literary. Despite all this, it's a good material. You can learn chinese history through the drama.

I remembered that two or three years ago the CCTV(China Central Television) has published an international version which has English subtitle. Of couse there are versions with Chinese subtitle.

:clap

三国演义 seems to me as a difficult assignment. As Johnny said, the language they use is a little archaic (lots of "ye" and that kind of stuff). Even Chinese folks need translation when they start quoting the book. :oops: But it is probably one of the best drama ever wrote in Chinese, so I guess it has its own rewards.

I would maybe go more for 康熙帝国(hope I spelled it right). It is still historical, and sometimes they use styles that are not exactly modern, but it is easier to understand. They have (Chinese) subtitles, and I guess that that too helps. Only problem: I don't know where you will find it (legally, at least).

yesasia is a website that sells Chinese, Japanese, and Korean books, videos, cd's etc. Just click on skylee's links.

As for listening material, I think the Making Connections book w/CD's is pretty good. Native speakers talking at natural speed, but with a more limited vocabulary so it's understandable.

http://www.cheng-tsui.com/sb_catalog-csm.asp?grp=PACC&item=++++++++0887273661