Chinese-Forums

How? Punctuation on MS Chinese (Traditional) - New Phonetic IME

JimmySeal

Hello everyone,

I've been using the "Chinese (Traditional) - New Phonetic" IME on my computer for a while now, but one detail I can't figure out is how to make Chinese punctuation, as in quotation marks (「」), periods (。), and commas (、). It seems no matter what key I press, I can't find a way to type these marks. Does anyone know? Is there some kind of trick to this?

Let me see (I am in my office so it is the windows IME I am using here) (one thing though, I am using the simplified MSPY IME 3.0 version but have opted for traditional output, which might be why I get a comma instead of a 、when I press the comma key) ...

"." (period, but not the one on the number pad) -> 。

"," (comma) -> ,

"\" (slash) -> 、

":" (colon) -> :

":" (semi-colon) -> ;

(quotation marks) -> “”(press the arrow buttons to choose)

"<" -> 《》(press the arrow buttons to choose)

For other punctuations such as 「」『』, I choose the context menu on the language bar, then the soft keyboard and then the punctuation options.

Thanks, skylee. With the clues from your post, I was able to answer half of my own question. I had to put my IME in full-width mode to get , and 。 (hadn't thought of that). Even the soft keyboard on this IME doesn't seem to have 「 and 」, which is kinda strange, but I guess if I really need them I can use another IME. Thanks for your help!

• New Members

Hi.

I suggest upgrading to the latest version:

http://www.pinyinjoe.com/faq/microsoft-office-2010-new-phonetic-cangjie-cantonese-jyutping-ime-update.htm

Then you use the leading key "`" (under Esc) + puctuation.

For example, typing "`" + "[" yields the full width "["; if you press the down arrow key immediatly afterwards, you get a candidate list, in this case:

1.[

2.「 ← what you were looking for.

3.『

4.【

and several others. The same goes for most punctuation. The regular comma is ` + comma, and the ennumeration comma is ` + apostrophe.

Oh the cruel irony. I have a wacky Japanese Mac keyboard that doesn't have one of those keys (trust me, I've looked for it). Thanks for cluing me into the updated IME anyway. I've installed it and perhaps it will help in some other way :-).