Chinese-Forums

2 paragraphs, good or bad?

Yezze

So a college asked me to explain why i chose to study Chinese, so i wrote this. Anyone here wanna give me thoughts as to how this fairs grammar wise? Just, is it understandable, and if not, could you let me know where. I am not looking for grammar corrections, since that wouldn't be my writing... just thoughts anyone has about how good or bad this is.

我学中文为了很多理由。从我儿时起,我就很想学习另一门语言。但是,我不要学西班牙语或者德语,因为我认为那语言是太普通的。当我开始接触各种外语时,我发现中文更吸引我,并不是因为它罕见,而是有其它更多的原因。中文汉字其他外语缺乏的特殊的美感,中文汉字也有悠久的历史,因为中国的历史很久远。我知道如果我学习中文,困难与挑战也随之而来,但是我想要挑战我自己。特别因为中文不凭借字母表,那是很有挑战性的。

除了它本身的美感,中文也非常实用。众所周知,近年来中国经济发展十分迅速。因为中国经济发展是十分迅速,我认为中文不久会很重要。 我知道,随着时间的推移,中国的成长越来越多,对于公司来说,一名会说中文的求职者比不会说的更有价值。总之,这些都是他我选择学习中文的原因。然后我学了中文4年,我是很高兴我决定中文。

Thanks!

I understood it, some of the usage seemed unnatural to me but maybe I just haven't seen it before. I'll let the forums native speakers guide you there.

Anyway good effort, well done for sharing!

I thought I'd write something a bit more useful. I rewrote the beginning as I would have written it, not to correct you. Just for you to compare:

我学中文的原因很多。从我小的时候,我很想学新语言。

Edited by grahamH

I am lazy so I am not going to give very detailed comments. The passages are not too bad. I can understand them. I suggest you (1) try / learn to use words like 便、就、會 to improve the flow; (2) reduce repetitions and use pronouns where appropriate.

Some of the expressions are not right, e.g 因为中文不凭借字母表. I think this could be improved by more reading and writing.

The comments at #2 are good.

Thanks for all the tips.

jessiejin: I noticed that shortly after posting, yeah i meant to type 我, idk how 他 came out. Really stupid mistake. lol

Skylee:I looked back through and changed some pronouns ex- 中文汉字。

grahamH: Thanks for the suggestion.

I made some slight changes then submitted it, but thanks for the feedback.

当我开始接触各种外语时,我发现中文更吸引我,并不是因为它罕见,而是有其它更多的原因。中文汉字其他外语缺乏的特殊的美感,中文汉字也有悠久的历史,因为中国的历史很久远。我知道如果我学习中文,困难与挑战也随之而来,但是我想要挑战我自己。特别因为中文不凭借字母表,那是很有挑战性的。

change to: 当我开始学习各种外语时,我发现中文最吸引我,并不是因为它罕见,而是因为它特殊的美感和悠久的历史。(this sentence is much simple, use the structure "not...but..." to tell the real reason)我知道,如果我学习中文,困难和挑战也随之而来,但我就是想要挑战我自己。

我学中文有很多原因。从儿时起,我就很想学一门外语。但是,我不想学西班牙语或者德语,因为我觉得这两门语言太普通。开始接触外语时,我发现中文最吸引我,因为它历史悠久,又有其它文字所不具备的特殊美感。我知道学习中文会有不少困难与挑战,因为中文不是拼音文字,但是我想挑战自己。

除了本身的美感,中文也非常实用。近年来中国经济发展十分迅速,可以想见,中文不久就会成为国际交往中的一门重要语言。随着时间推移,中国的成长越来越多(this sentence doesn’t make sense to me),同等条件下,会说中文的求职者肯定比不会说的有优势。总之,这些就是我选择学习中文的原因。我学中文至今已有四年,我很高兴选择学中文

I made the revisions on Word; unfortunately, my attempts to upload the file were frustrated by the server. I will try again later or tomorrow.