Chinese-Forums

Face Wash

Saxondale

Are there any brands that are natural? so literally no added chemicals to their face wash. The stuff i use is totally natural; no colouring, preservatives etc, since it's about the only thing that keeps my skin clear. Problem is, it expires in a few months, so i'll have to eventually go for a brand out in China. Any tips?

You're going to need the soapy chemicals to form a protective barrier and keep the pollutiony chemicals off your face.

I don't think there's a Lush in Beijing (bar the popular student bar). You might be able to find something similar, but if you need that particular one and nothing else then you'll probably need to get it shipped. Or bring a year's supply and freeze it.

Have you ever tried Clinique? They are not cheap but really quality stuff so you'll get your money's worth. I know someone who struggled with spots for a little while and eventually cleared up their face by using Clinique's Foaming Facial Wash.

You never know, there are those who argue that soapy chemicals do more harm than good.

Interesting reading indeed. I was just wondering then how soap had become popular in the very beginning. Maybe our ancestors had such perfect skin that they couldn't help doing some damage to it...?

My previously wavy and mostly unmanageable hair now seems much more willing to bend to my will, a dream of mine since I first looked in a mirror, brush in hand, then tried and failed to make any sense of that monster. So I approve for sure.

That's because it's greasy. I have similar hair -- you don't wash it for a few days, it becomes encrusted in your body's sebum. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't like having my hair like that.

Cetaphil. It's the least non-irritating facewash out there, I know since I have very sensitive skin. There is actually no soap in it (they use glycerin), but it will get your skin very clean if you use with a mild daily exfoliator or a mild astringent.

Both QV and Cetaphil cleansing products contain sodium lauryl sulfate as the main surfactant. Strictly speaking it is not a soap but it will still very efficiently remove oil from your skin. Try to mix the skin cleanser you have with a bit of (soft) water; if it lathers, it must have some kind of surfactant. Surfactants will wash off the natural oil film on your skin (the undesired effect), but also all the dirt and debris (the desired effect), leaving your skin clean but also drier than before. So moisturising after wash is very important if you do have dry and sensitive skin, especially to those who often suffer from allergic dermatitis.

I have had a lot of difficulty finding anything natural at all here when it comes to products such as this -- the world health store I told you about before is about it. That's where I bought my (extremely overpriced) natural oils. I was just at home for the holiday break thank goodness and bought all my natural personal care products before coming back. Mmmm... aloe-olive oil body wash!

I heard a rumor (not sure if it's true) that China has laws against companies and products that don't test on animals? Anyone know about this or is it just crap?

Actually, I may have a recipe for a natural face wash (I think) in the vegan book I just got for Xmas. If you're into that, I'll look it up and post it on here.

As long as you don't fall in, Gato.

Anything like this - be it food, clothing, cosmetics - is a premium product with a minuscule market by Chinese standards. It'll either be impossible to find, or expensive, or both.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...