Chinese-Forums

Simp / Trad conversion typo?

Glenn

I found this sentence here, and I have this suspicion that it's a machine conversion of simplified to traditional:

故事發生在冬天的東京,時間跨度有晚上12點到早晨6點七個小時...

That should be 只, right?

[Edit] How ironic. The title should be "typo", not "type".

I’ve had some bad experience using MS Word’s automatic conversion from simplified script to traditional script. The programme did not just convert the characters, it actually converted some words. For example, 幼儿园 became 幼稚園. After the conversion I had to proofread the whole paper all over again (luckily it was not long). :angry:

I think you're onto something there, jbradfor. That is odd... I wonder what the explanation for THAT one would be.

skylee, you haven't tried DimSum, have you? I just converted a simplified text to traditional with it and it seems to have done alright, but to be honest my goal wasn't to check it, it's a bit long, and I'm too tired to go into it now. gato hooked me up with that one. Although, there is annotation, which may annoy you seeing as how you don't need it...

And thanks to whichever admin made the thread title sensible! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Google translator can also convert simp-trad-simp, and also there are a lot of Chinese fonts which writes in traditional, even if you type a simplified text. For me this is the best choice, when I do some graphic work, and no need to use google translator (as I can only type/write and read in simplified, and can recognize only a few traditional characters) when I'm working, just switch the font.

and one more, 金山dictionary can aslo convert, if you use the 汉语词典,and type any traditional character, it will automatically find it in simplified. That's my quickest way, if I need to (want to) recognize a character quickly