Chinese-Forums

CSC Study in Beijing

seb120x

Hi folks. I was wondering if anybody could share their experiences with study on a CSC scholarship in Beijing?

I've been posting on the CSC board, so this question is a little more about how well you feel your school (or schools) dealt with the scholarship program, how many fellow CSCers you have at your school (I would find this really helpful to know), if you have any experience with re-applying for CSC through your school, and whatever else you may care to throw out there.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this is useful for some others as well~

Are you basing your school selection on that criteria?

If you decide to pursue a masters I think it would be more beneficial to ask about schools with good programs in your field of study. Depending on where you do your major studies, this will affect where your language study is. It will also allow us to narrow down your options and give you advice on specific schools.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply - at this point, unless I come up w/some different information, I think I will simply apply for a Chinese Language Training CSC, rather than the masters - as I'm not completely decided about my field, I think it would be better for me to spend a year studying language, and then see how I feel. As I hope to stay in Shanghai another year, I also think this gives me a slightly better chance of remaining here; though of course, if I'm come up with a scholarship, I'll go with the flow~~

Haloooo I'll be sharing my experience as a Chinese Language CSC student in BLCU (2009-2010) and in BNU (2010-2011 1st sem)

I'll try to be very general at first and then let's just discuss specific points later.

BLCU

HOUSING - When I first arrived I checked in Dorm 1. If you search in this forum you will know more about how it is like. But in short, it's really not nice. When I was there the furniture was really old. Though I heard from roommate, who has a friend in BLCU, they bought new furniture. I've never seen it myself. The building itself is not maintained very well. When i first came in, the everything was dusty, and the walls had a lot of shoemarks. On my bed was my 1-inch mattress and "quilt" rolled into one. No bedsheets and pillows. There are about 20+ people per floor. I don't mind common bathrooms, but the showers, sinks and squat toilets only come in threes. And I don't even know when it is cleaned, if at all. Some people got used to it, but I didn't so i moved off campus after 3 weeks. If you are a female scholarship student, you will probably go to Dorm 9. Which is much nicer and CLEANER. You have the option to "upgrade" to the nicer dorms by paying the difference of the new room and your original room.

MONTHLY ALLOWANCE - For the 1st semester we got our cash at the end of the month from a room bldg 2, the 办公楼. We showed our student card, signed something, then got our cash. Fro the 2nd semester, they issued everyone ATM cards, which were very convenient. They just deposited the money every 28th of the month. No more lining up.

FREE/DISCOUNTED HSK TESTING FEE - If you're a scholarship student and you want to take the (old) HSK in BLCU, you don't have to pay the RMB250 fee. You just tell them you're on scholarship and they will either defer or discount. I'm not quite sure if i paid for it or i got a really huge discount. But i'm sure i didn't pay 250.

BNU

HOUSING: WAAAAAY BETTER than BLCU Dorm 1. They will still put you in the cheapest dorm -- the No.1 International Students Dormitory aka 第一公寓, but the low-end of BNU is quite higher than BLCU's. The room is much bigger and you got better furniture, and pillows and bed linens were supplied. We had a bigger, cleaner common bathrooms too (with 6 showers, 8 sinks, 2 western toilets and 3 squats). Custodians are always around ready to help and they collect your garbage everyday. They also replace your linens every 2 weeks, i believe. There's actual service in this dorm. And there are only around 12-15 people per floor so the shower to person ratio is quite good. Our building is also attached to the newest and nicest dorm, the No. 3, and so we also have access to their kitchen and sitting areas. No. 3 also has a 24/hr McDonald's, which is really convenient but bad for your health. This dorm also has a humble humble gym, which for 1RMB per entry you can use for as long as you want.

MONTHLY ALLOWANCE: At registration we were all issued ATM cards where they can deposit our money every month. But whether or not you are a scholarship student, BNU will issue a card anyway. The paying students use this as a debit card to pay their tuition fee. Strangely though, BNU requires all scholarship students to sign their name on a checklist at the beginning of every month. If you forget to sign, they won't deposit money into your account.

BNU FREEBIES: BNU treats its foreign students quite well. AT registration, i receive a gift bag with a free shirt, several handbooks, and a map of beijing. Every month there are free activities that students can enjoy. We had a free trip to Jingshanling Great Wall in the beginning of the semester, and we had free tickets to concerts and shows every months thereafter. We got a Christmas gift too, a simple passport and ticket wallet-like thingy. For the end of the semester, BNU organized trips 1.5 day trips to Harbin and Da Dong. They were discounted for scholarship students -- 1100 and 750 rmb respectively (cheaper if you're here for 2-3 years).

A drawback for BNU though is that their program is shorter than BLCU's. We started 2nd week of Sept and we will end 1st week of June. BLCU started a week ahead and they're ending 1st/2nd week of July. And then BNU took more days off during the National Day and Mid-Autumn Festival.

Ultimately, student life for CSC students isn't that much different from regular paying students. Whatever the program has for you, that's what you get.

I don't really know ha, but you mentioned that student life for CSC students aren't much that different...are there any differences??

Problem is, i'm really set on BNU. From my understanding, i can apply to BNU first, get accepted and then apply for the CSC. Does that mean if my scholarship is accepted, i'll be definitely going to BNU? I just don't like the fact that you don't have a huge control over where you go.

Also, do you have any idea when i can apply for the September course at BNU?

Thanks

Ah i see. Well, the difference is... you get free tuition and boarding! Practically that's it. Maybe when paying students find out about this Chinese Government Scholarship from you they'll get a bit jealous. Haha

Problem is, i'm really set on BNU. From my understanding, i can apply to BNU first, get accepted and then apply for the CSC. Does that mean if my scholarship is accepted, i'll be definitely going to BNU? I just don't like the fact that you don't have a huge control over where you go.

Are you planning to go to BNU even if you don't the scholarshi? There's no guarantee that you'll end up in BNU even if you apply in advance (as a paying student). So if going to Beijing is contingent on getting the scholarship, don't send a separate application. You'll just be wasting the admission fee and postage.

That's the way it is. BNU is my 3rd choice actually. I thought having spent a year in BLCU already, the CSC would put me right back in for my 2nd year. Well, change is good sometimes.

Although I feel that i should say that student life in BNU and BLCU are quite different mainly because foreign students in BLCU are more numerous and diverse, while in BNU there are less than 2000 and mainly come from Korea, Indonesia, and Japan. These groups tend to stick with each other and it's been quite difficult to integrate.

Also, BLCU has the Wudaokou, which is fun and bustling while BNU has.... a McDonald's at Dorm No. 3.

do you have any idea when i can apply for the September course at BNU?

Sorry i don't know. Our 2nd sem ends in June though. Maybe you can check the website by May. :D

The difference is... you get free tuition and free boarding!

Are you planning to go to BNU whether or not you get the scholarship? If going there is contingent on getting the scholarship then don't apply as a paying student. You will just waste your admission fee and postage. There's really no guarantee where you will go.

That's the way it is. BNU is actually my 3rd choice. I thought the CSC would put be right back in BLCU after spending the 1st year there already.

• 7 months later...

So, you are a language student right? Not a master's student?

I only ask, because it seems that BCLU is perfect for studying language...but maybe not so for pursuing a degree (at least, definitely not in my case. Otherwise, I'd go).

I'm just a little concerned. I studied at Fudan last semester on exchange and wasn't impressed by my professors or classes. I know they probably didn't give us the "best" of what they offer to degree students, but I am very nervous to commit myself there (as if I'd get accepted anyways). So now, I'm looking at Beijing. Do you have any [foreign] friends at BNU pursuing degrees? (both Chinese and English taught). I'm just wondering if you can vouch for their Humanities Department at all.