Chinese-Forums

Difference between 我要 and 我想

Guest samantha

Well, it seems - from the above answers to my question - as if it depends on whether or not you want to express a 'plan', which is implied with 会or 打算,or whether you wish to express a 'desire', implied with 要.'Wanting' to go home tomorrow afternoon is surely not the same as 'planning' to go home tomorrow. I may 'want' to go home, but in fact not have the money to buy my bus ticket!

akdn "will" can be expressed by both 要 and 会, depending on context. Perhaps it's a sort of "wanting" future -- is that what you're suggesting? Or that 要 never really means "will" at all? It's often most appropriately *translated* as "will", though, I think (not that I can come up with a decent example!)

明天我回家。(i will go home tomorrow. i've buy the bus ticket!)

明天我要回家。(i will go home tomorrow. used to answer the question: what are you going to do tomorrow? you can use it whether you buy the ticket or not.)

明天我会回家, 我走之后的工作由你负责。(i'm going home tomorrow, you will take charge of my job when i leave)but does it always be used?

明天我想回家。(i want to go home tomorrow. i miss my family very much.)

:?: 要and 想have the different meaning and depanding on the context. 要can expressed both "desire" and "plan", 想can expressed both" want" and "miss".it meaning we can use 要translate "need, want, will, would like"想translate"want, miss".also 会, some people said it's the same as 要,but 要 is usually be used.

is it right?who can give us some example about the different meaning.

but do you agree that the preference for 2 character words is something to do with rhythm?

i've no idea about it. but i think sometimes the 1 character word is something to do with rhythm. have you heard "良师益友"(liang shi yi you) which means good teacher and helpful friend. does the 师 or 友 here for the rhythm.

why are you guys making it so complicated haha.

just use 我想 for "I think of/I want/I want to/", 我会 for "I will/I am going to", 我要 for "I need/I need to".

I am right, trust me. I would like to see an example in which you can't plug in my definition for the words.

If you use 想 followed by a noun rather than a verb it usually means "I miss." Such as 我想我爸爸 or 我想我家乡. It can also mean "I think." Other than that, I agree with Quest, it's not as complicated as this thread makes it seem. We like to debate over anything. ;)

• 1 month later...

::agrees with Quest::

I like to think of 想 as something you feel flowing in your heart, keeping in mind that in Chinese the heart and mind are hard to distinguish between. So to miss, to think, and to have a desire to all make sense to me that way.

Sorry to complicate this more, as it really isn't that complicated.

• 4 weeks later...

There are striking differences in consequences (maybe disastrous) if you speak these three different terms to your girl friend.

If you tell her "我要", that means you want to have her body.

If you tell her "我想", that probably is just love intended but not sex related.

If you tell her "我想要", that means you have some dirty thoughts in your mind.

• 2 months later...

about 我想

if

"我想"+Verb

then

"我想"=I want to do something

eg.

我想吃饭。

我想回家。

or if

"我想"+Noun/从句

then