Chinese-Forums

8 Songs that everyone in China knows, do you?

思考题

The following is my TOP 8 of Chinese Songs. I selected them for their notoriety and cultural contribution to Chinese society.

I have also translated these songs, click on the title to view the translation.

最佳八首歌

1. 国歌 – The Chinese National Anthem

2. 茉莉花 – Jasmine

3. 恭喜恭喜 – Congratulations (The Chinese ‘Merry Christmas’)

4. 月亮代表我的心 – My heart waxes and wanes

5. 甜蜜蜜 - Sweet

6. 北京欢迎你 – Beijing welcomes you

7. 美丽的神话 – The myth

8. 对面的女孩看过来 – Come over here girls!

Ask any Chinese person you know; whether they are 15 or 85 they know each and every song in the above list. If you study Mandarin or are interested in Chinese culture there really is no excuse not to know these songs.

Now before you complain, I know number 8: 对面的女孩看过来 – Come over here girls is NOT THAT FAMOUS, especially within the older generations of Chinese. I included it for its uncanny popularity amongst the expat crowd.

• Like 1

Could I ask an irrelevant question? Is "notoriety" usually used in this manner?

This is more relevant. I am a Chinese person between the age of 15 and 85, but very frankly I don't know song Nos. 6 and 7. But I know the other six songs.

I am a Chinese person between the age of 15 and 85, but very frankly I don't know song Nos. 6 and 7. But I know the other six songs.[/Quote]

If you were around in Beijing during the Olympics, you would have gotten sick of "Beijing Welcomes You." It's a very catchy song, though--for about the first thirty times you hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwNquh7uk4

I am a native English speaker and can tell you that the word 'notoriety' definitely has negative undertones, at least where I am from. Perhaps it is different in other countries. Maybe 思考题 meant that some of the songs are not that good? I definitely agree with xiwang when it comes to 北京欢迎你 !!

Thank you Xiaoxiaocao for you comments,

Just to clear things up, my use of the word 'notoriety' was 'CELEBRITY, FAME, FAMOUSNESS, POPULARITY, RENOWN, REPUTATION, REPUTE'.

NotorIETY and notorIOUS are two different words, notoriety CAN mean notorious, but in this context it OBVIOUSLY does not.

From answers.com

noun

1. Unfavorable, usually unsavory renown: infamousness, infamy, notoriousness. See knowledge/ignorance.

2. WIDE RECOGNITION FOR ONE'S DEEDS: CELEBRITY, FAME, FAMOUSNESS, POPULARITY, RENOWN, REPUTATION, REPUTE.

• 10 months later...

Notorious and Notoriety are clearly from the same root, just used in different ways (the former an adjective and the latter a noun). So if something is notorious it suffers from notoriety.

Either way, whilst these can mean famous for bad reasons or in a bad way (as can infamous, infamy) they need not be - though this is more colloquial i.e. if a newspaper said something to be notorious it would hold negative connotations - like eddie the eagle or the crazy frog.

• 4 weeks later...
I am a native English speaker and can tell you that the word 'notoriety' definitely has negative undertones, at least where I am from.

Where are you from then? I would say in the U.S. at least, it does't have any kind of negitive undertone.

I know all the songs on that list, but I would say there are quite a few more that would earn a sport (I also don't think that 美丽的神话 is SO famous).

• 2 weeks later...