Chinese-Forums

IUP vs. One on One instruction

kongli

If you read a book in English but don't have a class or seminar to attend to *discuss* it, how much are you really getting out of it? How would you discuss the book/research in a seminar setting? Probably not the same way you speak to family and friends.

True, but I think a lot of that comes from mind set you approaching the topic at hand. You may dealing with higher level concepts but I don't think the formality of the language changes that much, at least from what i have witnessed from the graduate/undergraduate classes I have attended.

Since you are at a Renda, it should be easy enough to hire a graduate student for some one-to-one tutorial. You could try sit in on some history classes and approach people during the breaks. As for lesson plans, you could select an article or two beforehand for each session, then discuss them together. Or you could write some short essays for them to revise for you. It shouldn't be that hard.