Chinese-Forums

Selling second hand stuff in China

XiaoXi

I'm finding it hard to believe but my Chinese wife insists that its not really possible to sell ANYTHING second hand in China. We have a few bits and pieces we want to sell and have no real way of getting rid of them - other than obviously throwing them away. It seems illogical that in China where there are so many poor that they would insist of buying everything new. Does anybody know of any outlets or whether this is really true? We're in Tianjin.

You must be the only people in China who don't live within yelling distance of scrap collectors. Depends what you're actually selling, but appliances and electronics someone will give you at least scrap value for. Furniture as well. Clothes I'd just leave by the bins and someone'll make sure they realize their full value.

What is it you're actually looking to get rid of?

Scrap collector's sounds pretty far away from the likes of eBay. I'm talking about better stuff than that. When we moved to live in China we sold so much stuff on eBay and made good money, sometimes even a profit. But now we're gonna go back home in less than a year we need to sell relatively decent stuff again. Its not just 'cos we want to move, its like you buy a new version of what you have and want to sell the old one. Like for example whenever I buy a new computer, I sell the old one which cuts a lot off the price of the new one. But here in China it seems you can't do that.

THere're so many second hand shopping on the small street, also the repair shop receive the second hand. The best way is sell them on the site where you can find the right buyer,thus you can make a good profit,like www.ganji.com. The second way you can find some second hand goods receiver,you can also sell them at a low price. And the last way you can deal them with trash,very low price. I'm in tianjin too.

Ok we'll check those sites out. Has anybody managed to sell any second hand stuff in China?

I sold almost everything I used in uni when I graduated. There was a classified billboard next to one of the canteens as well as an online version open to everyone for free. I sold my computer for a reasonable price there. Maybe you can also try to sell your electronics at universities in Tianjin if they have similar service there.