Chinese-Forums

CCTV 9

abcdefg

In previous years I’ve been able to see occasional English language programming on CCTV 9. Now it's no longer "international" and is completely in Chinese, often focusing on nature and history.

Googling it didn't shed light on this new format. Is more than one CCTV 9 available? I'm wondering if my (small) hotel (in Kunming) just opted for the "non-international" version when setting up their TV reception package or viewing plan.

CCTV still has a news channel that I can see here in Kunming. It's channel 13 新闻 and it is done in Chinese. But CCTV 9 now bears the designation 纪录 and is entirely in Chinese.

The old program on CCTV 9, which used to have interviews with newsmakers in English plus programs on Chinese culture and China travel aimed at an international audience and done in English, is the one I can no longer find.

Doesn't really matter all that much; I'm not addicted and I prefer Chinese language programming most of the time. I was just curious as to whether it was still available in other parts of China. Apologies for not stating the question more clearly above.

I thought CCTV had a seperate channel for English programs only, called CCTV English, or at least that's how I remember it. But I haven't been to China in quite a while now, so I'm not very sure about this.

You are correct. They recently changed the name. It was CCTV 9 before, then CCTV English, and now it's called CCTV News, however there is another channel called CCTV 新闻, in Chinese and with completely different shows and hosts. Apparently now there is a new CCTV 9, which has nothing to do with the old CCTV 9.

They recently changed the name. It was CCTV 9 before, then CCTV English, and now it's called CCTV News, however there is another channel called CCTV 新闻, in Chinese and with completely different shows and hosts. Apparently now there is a new CCTV 9, which has nothing to do with the old CCTV 9.

Thanks, @felipe, that's what I figured. This little hotel, which has almost zero foreign guests, has just not paid to receive the new version. I still can see the 新闻 channel to get the news in Chinese.