Chinese-Forums

QQstream : is this software clean ?

lostguy06

hello,

I have installed QQstream in one of my computers and it is brilliant, It is much faster than youku or tudou for me(I live in France), I didn't worry about installing it in this computer because it is allready quite old and I don't use it much.

I have a new laptop and I would like to install QQstream in it, but I am not too sure about this software's safety, has anybody had problems with adwares or malwares with it ?

Since i've heard about those rumours concerning QQ's safety, I am a bit suspicous about those kind of softwares.

thank you !

Is that an actual QQ / Tencent product? If so I'd wager it may well do annoying stuff like start showing pop-up ads at some point, maybe even install a browser toolbar if it can, but it's not going to rob your bank details or anything actually criminal.

I don't think PPstream is a tencent product but I was just a little worried about it, by the way, I actually wasn't refering to ppstream but pplive I am always mixing the two up :P

anyways I think I'll just install it and see what happens, you have to take risks in life :)

I use PPstream. I've found that it automatically opens an "invisible" application in the background when I start my computer, which transfers a fair amount of data (it's a P2P application after all). This is especially a concern for me when I'm using certain wireless networks with strict data quotas. As far as I can recall, this application has some quite misleading name (like "speed-up internet tool" or something similar). There might be a way to disable this function from within the program (which I haven't yet figured out, not that savvy). I just kill the process through task manager.

It's a great application, by the way.

yes I have tried QQstream but it didn't like it since I have french regional settings and in order to display chinese characters in PPstream I had to switch my regional settings to chinese and after that, all the french accents like é è or à wheren't displayed properly, I don't have that problem with pplive.

I still haven't installed pplive in my new computer, I am still a bit affraid of messing up my OS with wierd "secondary" applications.

is there an avid QQlive user to tell us if if he had any problem with it ?