Chinese-Forums

Chinese characters

sumnerfit

The character made up of 也母 was difficult, but the explanation Unicode Han Character '(Cant.) feminine suffix' (U+4E78) (jyutping naa2, Yale na2) suggests that all the text is Cantonese.

The top right one was much easier: 亚 yà in Simplified.

The phonetic of mian3 眄 took some time. Seems to be mian3 ‘hidden’, Cant. Min5. (Unihan U+4E0F).

And then there is the turtle (亀 = 龟). Probably more difficult ones, but I rest here voting for Cantonese.

It's a combination of simplified and traditional Chinese characters, some of which are extremely rare, and some single strokes usually not used as characters. I'm not sure about some characters -- they use standard parts, but I've never seen them. Very odd combination.

Some of the characters are common, some are rare. I really don't know if this is some dialect, or really an encoding problem -- bad encoding usually results in ONLY obscure characters. It's not standard written Chinese, that much is sure.

Could it possibly be Chữ_Nôm?

• New Members

Nonsense doesn't surprise me. It's a puzzle and I have a feeling it needs encoding (probably using unicode) which will then give more information.

Thanks very much for your help. It's the start I need. I'll post the answer if I can get it