Chinese-Forums

Chinese Shorthand

sujisol

I am developing a shorthand method for Chinese based on positioning phonetic symbols on a simple format grid. Want to know if anyone else can share some ideas for inscribing and inputting Chinese using a standardized shorthand reduction system.

It is organized like Shuang Pin in terms of Initial/Final elements, but is formatted like a game controller key pad sequencer. [it is discussed in my blog Shorthand Solutions sujisol.blogspot]

Disclaimer: since I haven't copyright or patent on my inscription method I will only discuss it in general terms.

---Chinese Shorthand/中文速記---I have been developing a model for an interactive Chinese digital input and hand scripting shorthand method for a few years now. My name is Ken Tao and I love to play with language! Using my knowledge of Chinese inputting methods, I feel I have succeeded in finding a format that I believe to be much faster, simpler, and standardized than other inputting or hand scripted ways of suji for the Chinese Language!

…..The objective of this blog is to get feedback and build interest in my project. Since it is at the modeling stage, and since I have no patent or copyright, I am only able to give a general description of my suji method. I hope that at the right time I can work with experts in various fields to make Chinese Coded Shorthand a working entity.

…..I would certainly appreciate any comment on ways that can help me to proceed in developing my suji project?

So you're looking for other peoples Ideas, to help you develop a system, while you yourself aren't willing to share your "specific" ideas? I have had thoughts about ways to develop my own systems more closely based on handwriting and not on phonetics, to help learners remember how to write even when they type, though If I ever do start a project I would want to release it under a GPL license.

Naturally I want to protect my Intellectual Property. The nature of my topic is to get my idea on public record, and also feel out for interest and comments such as the fine ones you sent me.

…..Thank you for suggesting GPL licensing. I know I may be coming across as somewhat protective of my idea, but I am somewhat new to interacting on the internet, so I hope you can be a little patient with me.

…..The general conceptual objective of Chinese Coded Shorthand can be found on my blog Shorthand Solutions sujisol.blogspot.

It is my hope that Chinese Coded Shorthand can someday be realized, because I feel it will be a useful tool for taking quick messages via digital keyboards, integrated with a handwritten format that can result in inputting, and note taking at twice the speed of presently existing inscription methods.

---Here is an example of my reduction method:

Traditional讓 > Modern让 > Chinese Coded Shorthand 七 (not qi)

...Only 2 key taps or 2 pen strokes giving a shorthand ideogram, which also has the phonetic embedded. In CCS one will be able to read the shorthand form phonetically as well as visually, thereby eliminating any need for BPMF or Pinyin transcription.

Since I cannot freehand it qi(the number seven) will have to described as a tap on the M key followed by the ; key. And in hand script shorthand it will look like 2 wedges similar to ^ and >.

Roddy, I don't want you to think I'm trying to just keep you guessing, but I am certainly concerned about others walking off with my idea. I don't intend to go through the patent pending process. So I'm thinking of pursuing a licensing or consulting agreement with a capable R&D entity. You know I will take this slow, until my instincts tell me the situation is right for full exposition!

Not to put a dampener on things, but I think obscurity is going to be a bigger problem for you than people trying to take your idea.

There are already numerous ways to type quickly in Chinese, such as with 五笔, and its even faster cousin 二笔 - which only requires on average two keystrokes to type any single character, and I'm told is what is used by court transcribers.

Both of these methods also allow for blind typing.

All of these methods have significant momentum and mindshare in the market and currently meet or exceed people's needs and expectations.

What advantage does your method provide that they don't? Not only does it have to be as good as these methods, it has to be significantly better or no-one will bother switching.

RE:Administrators Imron and Roddy. Thank you for responding to my topic. It feels good to have some feedback to prepare me for challenges ahead.

… Although my purpose is not to slay any giants, I believe CCS has special features that may bring it into public use. I think that it offers more tools than other methods of inputting:

…..It’s simplicity is an advantage for foreigners and new learners of Chinese, who don’t know many morpheme elements. They will be able to get into inscribing right away.

…..This method of computer inputting has a complementary system of easily readable handwritten notation, which has built in phonetic recognition.

…This may include an inscription system that can be used as a thesaurus like note taker.

…..CCS provides a game like controller element more amenable to eye/hand reflexes than standard key tapping.

….. It is also self checking with a cognitive and positional sensitivity greater than standard keyboard systems.

…..Even if it can gain a market niche I would be most satisfied….

Since I cannot freehand it qi(the number seven) will have to described as a tap on the M key followed by the ; key. And in hand script shorthand it will look like 2 wedges similar to ^ and >.

To be blunt, I do not think this is an idea anyone is going to steal.

It’s simplicity is an advantage for foreigners and new learners of Chinese, who don’t know many morpheme elements. They will be able to get into inscribing right away.

I'm not sure that you understand the difficulties foreigners face writing Chinese. For most foreigners, or at least new learners, it is the shape and strokes of the characters that are difficult to recall. Therefore, any input method based on strokes is likely to be too difficult. On the other hand, whilst maybe not the most efficient input method, I think most learners can input very conveniently with pinyin, and the advantage with that is that it doesn't require learning anything in addition to what they already know.

I have to agree with Anony on that one, I find pinyin to be incredibly easy. Typing pinyin phonetically helps me to remember the pronunciation even as I type, and then having to pick one character from a list of many helps me remember which character is which and forces me to learn how to differentiate between the two, which is crucial to learning the characters. I understand that you're trying to protect your ideas, but in this day and age there are very few unique ideas left, and very few patents that are actually enforceable, and there are far more ideas that are out there that would benefit from a group table discussion. Where I disagree with Anony is that as a beginner I'm looking for all the ways I can to learn the strokes and stroke order, and I feel that a perhaps more cumbersome entry method involving typing out stroke would help engrain the character into my memory. for example 七 might become -L, because those english characters most resemble the chinese one any hooks being reprented by, 四 might become [JL] the brackets representing the closed shape. Guess what this character is ^`V or B[-]

----Talk about babble don’t I know that there are already too many systems out there. My wife uses CanJie, my son uses simplified BPMF, and I use PinYin and Wuxiami or as the Taiwanese spell it Boshiamy.

….One thing I hope you may take special notice of is that CCS offers a comprehensive format. That is, the inputting method on digital devices corresponds directly to the handwritten shorthand inscription. CCS is ergonomically friendly in that eye/hand coordination is implicit as a self checking diction mechanism.

One thing I hope you may take special notice of is that CCS offers a comprehensive format.

And how do you expect people to take special notice if you're not even prepared to say what it is, or provide sufficient detail to be able to compare it to existing methods?

I've got an excellent new scheme for making money, guaranteed to get rich within days! No kidding! (You'll definitely be 暴发户 if you use my idea!) If anyone has any of their own ideas for making millions, tell me here so that I can compare them with my own. Once I've finalised my idea, I'll get it patented and shall reveal all to everybody. :P

My point is that you might have good Ideas, but in this day and age on the internet it will be incredibly hard to get people interested if you don't divulge details. We're not "babbling" about all these other entry methods to stop CCS, but rather to try get you to stop being worried about people stealing your "unique" ideas. If you started a project up front with an OPEN gpl license, allowing people to contribute their ideas knowing and trusting that your not just trying to rip them off, then it might go somewhere. Other than that you might be better off working on your project by yourself as many Programmers do, and then releasing a final product that is completely patented, and "protected." I found this article which might help: http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-cms/how-to-make-money-with-open-source-software-007097.php