Chinese-Forums

VPN service recommendations

saikyo

Hello everyone!

Going to be moving back to China for a couple years and wanted to get myself set up with a good VPN service.

I have used WiTopia in the past, and other than the fact that they take the liberty of blocking some bittorrent related sites for you, it was a very stable and reliable experience.

I have used TOR but performance was always spotty.

Any other recommendations?

I need a real VPN and not just a proxy.

Any advice appreciated!

I switched from Witopia to Freedur. Works great: nothing is blocked and I can even access stuff like Hulu without any issues. The only downside is their somewhat bloated client: it's a bundled version of privoxy that tends to consume 200+ MB RAM on my system (I use OS X).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't ready your message carefully enough. Freedur works as a HTTP(S) proxy, and is not a full VPN.

For what it's worth, I've never noticed any issues with Witopia and torrents - I've read that they do some blocking, but it's either not all trackers, or not all gateways, or something. And to be honest I can live with the service I send online banking transactions through being at least somewhat law-abiding.

Roddy: What happens if you try to access this popular Swedish torrent site? And, unless your Internet banking is implemented by morons, it should not matter which VPN/Proxy/whatever service you use. But I get it: Witopia are sponsors of this site. I will concede that their "censorship" is very minimal; certainly way, way, better than the Great Firewall. But it does exist, and pretending otherwise seems disingenuous to me.

EDIT: Especially since they acknowledge it themselves. From their FAQ

Do you have bandwidth limits, transfer limits, or censor content?

No. There are no bandwidth or transfer limits and we censor no content with the exception of sites that are repeatedly known for offering illegal content.

It opens, I tested a torrent, it worked fine. Couldn't reach all of the trackers, but didn't seem to stop the file downloading. I usually use demonoid, thebox, eztv.

Do you think I only posted the above as we're a Witopia affiliate? If so, go ahead and say so.

It opens, I tested a torrent, it worked fine. Couldn't reach all of the trackers, but didn't seem to stop the file downloading. I usually use demonoid, thebox, eztv.

Huh, well I'm honestly surprised since it's an example of a site that did not work back when I was their customer.

Do you think I only posted the above as we're a Witopia affiliate? If so, go ahead and say so.

That was my thought, yes. I guess I was wrong, so I apologise for suggesting you were shilling for Witopia.

Not just a disingenuous shill, but an incompetent one who forgets to post the affiliate link or even a link to the affiliate link. Charming. Apology accepted though.

I was using the Hong Kong gateway, and Google's DNS. That may make a difference - certainly if you're in China you want to be using overseas DNS. I suspect if you ask Witopia what they block they'll tell you, I've always found the customer service to be decent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...