Chinese-Forums

Placement Tests for Chinese

HashiriKata

Students are placed by testing(essentially an unofficial HSK) unless they identify themselves as zero-level (no knowledge or little knowledge).

Do these placement tests also test the ability to write Chinese (as opposed to just ticking the correct answers as in the multiple choice format) ? I ask this out of the concern that some people may not be able to write but can read & speak well enough to be on a different level. The situation would be very desperate for these people if transferring to a different level is not possible (on some courses).

yes, but learning to write chinese is an exercise in futility & a complete waste of so much time that could be used to expand vocab, refine grammar & learn more characters by site... speaking & listening are by far the most useful component to learning any language... reading is next & writing is last... why waste time learning to write when i always use a computer to type chinese? type pinyin & choose the correct character... i know them by site & can read proficiently... if the chinese writing system wasn't so laborious & flawed i may have a different opinion, but this has been discussed at length elsewhere... but, hey, i'll regret my atttitude next time i hafta write an essay & my laptop has no battery...

putting on my flameproof undies........

Shouldn't those who are not able to write learn to write at the elementary level?

True, but there are students who are weak at it.

My question is actually a practical one. To rephrase it: What would language teachers do if they put students in the wrong categories? I'm sure it would be to nobody's benefit if they teach basic Chinese to otherwise fairly advanced students. Would they bend the rule and move those students up?

Yes, but sometimes universities aren't as flexible as they should be with students who can speak well but can't read and write.

yesy, yes, yes, this was originally gonna be my point till i went on a drunken rant... thank you... it is especially seen by some japanese students in high classes because the placement tests (& HSK) are flawed, but no none understands anything they say...