Chinese-Forums

Starting Job: University or Midde/High School?

ToodlesFroodles

To give you a little history, I have no experience in teaching a formal class, except for just a few informal lessons that I gave people when I worked in Japan (non-teaching job), but nothing too serious. I'm sort of leaning towards wanting to apply to Universities, but I'm not sure what I'm in for. As someone who has no experience in teaching English, can I catch up or train myself in a short amount of time to be able to answer advanced grammar questions and everything else to the quality that they are accustomed to?

If it matters, I'm 22 and getting my BA this June. I wouldn't mind teaching middle school age kids, but a part of me thinks that University students would be a lot more interesting and challenging. But I just want an idea of what to expect at first and if it isn't far-fetched to walk in cold (with a few months of prep) and learn as I go.

It's teaching English in China - you'd very likely be an 'oral English' component of an hour or two a week to supplement their 'real' English teaching. You wouldn't give any exams, and if you did you'd be expected to pass everyone.

It depends who, what and where you are teaching. I doubt anyone gets near English majors at Renmin University without some impressive qualifications, but if you're an additional bit of English practice for engineering students at Gansu Plumbing University, they'll take what they can get - or what the local authorities will let them get away with.

• Like 1

roddy, besides the fact of taking what you can get, i'd rather focus on a certain type of school that i actually want to teach since the amount of schools to apply to is pretty overwhelming. from what i got from your post, it depends on the validity of the english program of universities. but what i'm still wondering is that is it far fetched for someone to start cold at a university (being the secondary oral teacher or the main, doesn't matter), rather than start out teaching younger students. this would apply to more accredited universities as well as the ones who can "just get away with" hiring anyone just to have a foreign teacher.

i guess another question would be, do universities usually hire people with previous classroom experience or do they make exceptions?

and another thing, where would you recommend someone who wants to teach English for a year for the first time, but is mainly seeking to look for another type of job while i'm there (ie, not making a career out of it). not necessarily looking for the easiest way, more of, what would be suitable and still challenging without just being "that teacher" that really is just there for show. an age group where i can actually make a difference in their learning.

Seriously, just the working visa needs two years post-degree experience. That might not be universally applied and there are perhaps ways round it, but I suspect you're going to be near the end of the queue when it comes to getting jobs.

I'd get in touch with a few agencies and see what they offer you.

If I were an English teacher at Gansu Plumbing University, I'm not sure I would welcome you as a colleague. Your qualifications sound pretty slim. Just being a native speaker is not always enough.

If it matters, I'm 22 and getting my BA this June.

These are some of your most important qualifications as far as schools here are concerned: young and with a BA.

I wouldn't mind teaching middle school age kids, but a part of me thinks that University students would be a lot more interesting and challenging.

You'll be able to find quite a few options at universities, though no big names. The next question: Can you really teach effectively without any prior teacher training? Very few people are actually natural teachers, and it takes time and hard work for most.

Seriously, just the working visa needs two years post-degree experience.

The official requirements are BA, TESOL, 2-years *teaching* experience, and under the age of 60.

That might not be universally applied and there are perhaps ways round it

Very few actually meet all of the requirements I just stated above. However, big name universities will require that all are met, and perhaps even want more teaching experience.

In reality, very few new teachers meet these requirements, and different schools all over accept a wide variety.

@OP

The more qualifications you have, the better. As I always take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my school's TESOL course, it's something worth looking into, if not just to see what's available.

thanks for clearing that up kdavid. this post seemed to contradict almost everything i've been reading for the past 2 weeks about the difficulty and requirements for landing a job. yes, for some universities it seems obvious they won't let just anyone in, but if i was just reading this post without no prior research about teaching in china, i'd think the requirements were pretty strict. maybe it's because people have had different experiences, where as some people easily got a job without much hassle, and some maybe had a lot of difficulty getting into the places they wanted to. at least, that's the only way i can describe the black & white opinions that i read about teaching jobs

@ToodlesFroodles

I've been in China since 2006 and running my TESOL school almost as long. Since then I've spoken to hundreds of schools and teachers. My school is partnered with over a dozen all around the country.

The fact is that standards and requirements vary all over the country. Schools in big metropolitan cities like Beijing, Shanghai, etc. are strict because they can afford to be--the supply of (potential) foreign teachers in these cities is quite big. Schools in smaller, lesser-known cities can't afford to be as picky, and the local government supports their relaxed approach.

With that said, restrictions are getting tighter. Just in the past year the amount of hoops we're having to jump through with our local visa office has increased. While being young and a BA is a shoe-in for many jobs at smaller schools in smaller cities, anyone wanting access to larger cities and more well known schools will need a TESOL, and in some cases, teaching experience.

I'd agree with kDavid- the rules do apply differently to different people in different places.

Outside the big cities, you'd be able to get a teaching job in High schools, Middle schools, colleges etc with no problem. Usually they're looking for foreign teachers because it makes the school look better when they're recruiting new students. The schools in the cities (Beijing, Shanghai etc.) usually do require some kind of qualification/experience but there will always be smaller colleges on the outskirts of the city who are more relaxed about that. It is easier for schools to get you a z visa if you have the 2 years experience.

• 1 month later...

If you teach middle/high school students, get ready for teaching kids who have no interest in creative thought and/or no interest in attending your class. Of course you can get lucky, but it seems they're simply too tired/drained to put out much in your class.

I found that middle/high school education here is very exam focused so some students don't want to waste time in class learning how to speak English when all they need is to learn how to answer multiple choice questions about grammar and vocabulary. Other students lose all inspiration because they have ridiculously long school days (12-14 hours a day 6 days a week). However, if you persevere there will always be students who appreciate your input and are generally interested in what you're trying to teach-it just sometimes takes a lot of patience.

• 1 month later...

If you do choose to teach at a university, many of the students will be the same age as you. This can make it very difficult for you to be taken seriously.

On the other hand, teaching at middle schools can be quite scary for an inexperienced teacher – often you are staring at a class of 60 students that you must keep engaged in your lesson. Since you don't have any teaching experience, you might want to think about starting at a language mill; the relatively small classes and controlled environment can help you get ready to teach in more challenging contexts.