Chinese-Forums

Bike Theft

wushijiao

Thanks for all the posting though I'm not the OP, but now I'm really freaked out because I've just invested quite a bit for a lovely bicycle, and if it was stolen I would be really upset.

Any other ideas of protecting your bicycle? How about a U-Lock?

I'm now in Thailand and luckily Thai are really honest, I always put my bike outside 7-11 without locking it, sometimes I think I would look extremely silly if it was really stolen, so after hearing all the stories, I would definitely lock it all the time because I'm going to China soon!

But when I locked it, I always tried to lock it to a non-movable object (like a lamp pole) in a very busy area. Would this help? Would those bike thieves cheeky enough to cut my lock in front of all eyes??

As I mentioned earlier in the topic, I would personally go the hardware store, and get a thick chain and a lock used for store doors. Might be more expensive than a bike lock. But certainly cheaper than getting a new bike.

Anyone who wants to break that chain will have to get one of those 16" to 20" bolt cutters. You know those large tools used for breaking barbwires or metal fence? That is what I am talking about. Even after obtaining such tool, the thief will need to be very strong to squeeze the tool to snap that thick chain.

Bolt cutters:

http://www.bbn.co.uk/products/hand_tools/bolt_cutters.jpg

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/misc/metal_theft1_hr.jpg

Not much people owns a bolt cutter. If someone goes out and spends a fair amount of money on a bolt cutter, then talks around the street with the bolt cutter inside a sport bag looking for bikes to steal, that person is got some very serious problems. Or just been unemployed for months.

Cyberian- great idea!

As for me, I had two Chinese made U-locks on my bikes, which were both stolen. However, I don't think the U-locks were nearly the same quality as the ones you can buy in the US or other places. So if you get a U-lock, I'd suggest going to a speciality bike store and buying the best.

Something else you have to be careful about is that in China, one key fits to more than one lock. A lot more. Take your key to any bigger bike rack and chances are you can open the lock of one of them.

I don't know about U-locks (I'm not even sure what that is :-/ ), but 'normal', standard locks are like that.

Click on the link I suggested to Pazu, you will see what a U-lock is.

Here it is again:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64987,00.html

U-locks are the same. The number of different keys are probably in double digits. There are just so many combinations of keys you can make with something as small and simple as a bike key.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

According to a Taiwanese show, most U-locks can be unlocked pretty easily with a small hammer. I wish I still had the video to show. It seemed to me in that show that all locks can be picked/broken in a matter of seconds. The only purpose of locking your bike is to make it harder for thieves to steal yours than the one next to yours.

• 1 month later...

Hi new to this forum ...

I am currently in London and I guess like all other large cities bike stealing is rife.

I have seen kids stealing a bike in broad daylight infront of a line of about 10 people in front of a cashmachine.

They broke a D/U lock using a long peice of metal pole and levering it open.

When I got my bike stolen the police said that the kids in the area had been stealing the pro bolt cutters from the fire stations which can cut through anything rather easily.

Other methods were using liquid CO2 and a hammer ... really there is nothing they cannot steal.

But the best thing is too ensure that it is locked properly to somethign solid and it is visible. The only thing you can really do is deter thieves and hopefully they will steal someone elses bike that is easier to steal parked next to yours.

• 2 months later...

just moved to TEDA, Tianjin and my bike is just less than 2 weeks old and it was stolen today. everyday i've been parking it under the staircase to the light rail. expensive way to learn a lesson. now i'm buying a used bike and a thicker, bigger lock and making sure i lock the bike onto a post or railing. i was getting complacent thinking TEDA was such a nice small town and not as urban as Tianjin City or the other big cities in China where bike theft abound but i was wrong. oh well. chuck it up to life's learnings i guess. : ) if you would know of anyone interested in biking around TEDA, please email me. : )