Chinese-Forums

会 in sentences (NPCR lesson 27 dialogue)

rmpalpha

This is from NPCR Lesson 27, in the second dialogue. I don't understand how 会 is used in the first few sentences (since it doesn't seem to indicate possibility/ability), and I haven't been able to figure it out. Could anyone please explain this to me? Thank you! :)

丁力波:我们把自己的看法说出来,你们会不高兴吗?

陆雨平:当然不会。我们常跟外国朋友在一起,知道不同国家的人有不同的习惯。对我们来说,这很正常。

丁力波:不了解外国文化的人会怎么样呢?

王小云:有些事儿他们会觉得很不习惯。(and the dialogue goes on)

In a way it does indicate possibility. 我们把自己的看法说出来,你们会不高兴吗? really is asking "aren't you going to be displeased?" "isn't it possible that you will not be happy?"

当然不会 denies that possibility. "Of course not" "That can't happen" "it's not really possible".

有些事儿他们会觉得很不习惯 means "could they possibly feel strange", again the function of 会 showing that something could happen, something is possible.

Thank you, Meng Lelan, for the explanation. So, am I correct in understanding the four lines in the dialogue quoted above as meaning what I've typed below? The use of 会 here is a little strange because the only definition for the word that I've encountered so far is to know how to do things. I think there might have been a footnote somewhere in a previous volume about this word being used to express possibility - ah well.

丁力波:我们把自己的看法说出来,你们会不高兴吗?

We've expressed our own viewpoints - could that possibly have upset you?

陆雨平:当然不会。我们常跟外国朋友在一起,知道不同国家的人有不同的习惯。对我们来说,这很正常。

Of course not. We are often with friends from other countries, so we know that people from different countries have different habits. I think that's quite normal.

丁力波:不了解外国文化的人会怎么样呢?

Could this have upset people who don't understand other countries' cultures?

王小云:有些事儿他们会觉得很不习惯。(and the dialogue goes on)

There are some things that could make them feel quite uncomfortable...

会 can mean many different things, and here it does not mean a learned skill. Here it indicates the potential consequence of an action: can something turn out a certain way.

"If we state our opinion, will it / could it / might it make you angry?

It won't."

Note that the potential consequence is in the future, not in the past, so that part of your translation is wrong.

不了解外国文化的人会怎么样呢? = how might the people who don't understand foreign cultures react?

You'll notice that we translate it using different words in different sentences, because there is no perfect translation for this. It indicates that something might happen.

会 can mean many different things, and here it does not mean a learned skill. Here it indicates the potential consequence of an action: can something turn out a certain way.

"If we state our opinion, will it / could it / might it make you angry?

It won't."

Note that the potential consequence is in the future, not in the past, so that part of your translation is wrong.

So using 会 here implies a conditional situation in the first line? That doesn't seem obvious to me (probably because I'm just used to having something like 要是/如果 as a conditional sentence marker). How would the sentence that I've written as an incorrect translation for the first line be written in Chinese then?

So far, I'm finding that NPCR book 3 is significantly more difficult for me to work through than NPCR 2 was for me. Is it appropriate for me to post questions to this forum whenever I have them? For instance, I am having a lot of trouble getting through the "Reading Comprehension" part of Lesson 27. Thanks! :)

I think what others have said is more or less accurate, but you might like to think of 会 here just meaning "will".

Other examples:

明天会下雨。 It will rain tomorrow. (Of course, this still indicates a possibility, since it raining tomorrow is not definite.)

你再这样说,我会揍你。 If you say that again, I will hit you.

会 as a word itself can have different meanings,though generally it implies "know how to".

If it is strung together as 学会, it becomes "community or club" (usually), as in 中文学会 ("chinese community club").

Or 天地会 (heaven earth sect).

In this sense the word 会 takes on a meaning of "gathering".

Of course 学会 can also be used in a sentence like 我学会了怎么写中文 ("I have learnt how to write chinese")

Just to say it really depends on the context you use it.

Hope that clarifies.

Gabriel

So far, I'm finding that NPCR book 3 is significantly more difficult for me to work through than NPCR 2 was for me.

I had the same feeling. NPCR 3 is quite a fight as many of the more difficult grammar basics are covered. A while ago I started with NPCR 4. Regarding grammar it's way easier, seems the authors are through with the big "tough nuts", it's mostly small stuff in volume 4. Also many of the constructions explained in NPCR 3 are reinforced through the exercises. Thus don't worry, stay on the ball!

That doesn't seem obvious to me (probably because I'm just used to having something like 要是/如果 as a conditional sentence marker).

Chinese often drops things if the context makes it obvious. The first sentence can also be written as

如果我们把自己的看法说出来,你们会不高兴吗

or

如果我们把自己的看法说出来的话,你们会不高兴吗

Like anonymoose said, the 会 part indicates the the 不高兴 part is in the future.

As anonymoose said, 会 can be simply translated as "will". This is both in the sense of intention/volition (I will go to Beijing) and of natural/nonintentional occurrences (It will rain tomorrow). Either way, 会 places the event in the future relative to the time of reference (future aspect).

This is essentially separate from the 'ability' sense of the word (I can play the piano).